Here is a complicated one; name change, but not on passport!

rafi-cairo

Registered Users (C)
So, I am a US permanent resident, but still have 5 years to become an American citizen. I have an Egyptian passport. Now I need to change my name in the US, and I know exactly how to do it through court without a problem.

The thing is, in Egypt name changes are not allowed. You can only change your first name under very strict conditions that don't even apply to me, and never ever your last name. So I am bound to carry an Egyptian passport with my old name on it for the next 5 years. When I change my name in the US though I will have an updated green card with my new name, so I will not be able to board a plane back from Egypt when I go to see my family. In order to fly out of Egypt you must have a valid visa for your destination country, and in my case the green card would have a different name than my passport so I will not be allowed to fly. To the best of my knowledge showing them the court order with my name change won't work because they have no way to verify it.

What can I do here? I tried contacting the Egyptian Embassy and a few Egyptian consulates, but as is the custom for my beautiful home country, I was completely ignored. It's their way to tell their citizens that they love them :D Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am wondering what USCIS does in these cases and if they would agree to leave my old green card, but then whenever it's swiped all sorts of conflictions would come up.

Thanks