Help! Request for evidence

Hello everyone!
Please I will really aprecciate if someone can help me and guide me on this.

I am the petioner of my wife, we sent all documents for the adjustment of status including the I-864 affidavit of support and we recieved a request for initial evidence:

They ask me for my federal income tax return submitted to the IRS for the most recent year.

My problem here is that for the past years I lived and studied in Chile and lived with my mom there. I just moved to the US this year and started a new job in april 2015. I'm currently making more than the poverty guidelines. I have everything to show from my current job such as paystubs, work letter explaining all my job details, etc.
My question is can I just send a letter explaining that I was not required to file a federal tax for the past year because I was studying and living abroad unemployed? And also attaching all my current work taxes and paystubs including a letter from employer? From april till now? I will be able to support tax documentation W-2s by the end of year, but it's not a complete calendar year though.
am I able to still be the sponsor with no problem?
Also in the paper sheet They sent, they mention that I should send a written explanation if I wasn't required to file a federal income tax.
Is this enough proof to keep on going?

Thank you so much people! We're are really confused and desperated!

Rod.