Help regarding getting/renewal/extension of F1 visa in Canada?

Angeltots

I am still legally staying in US as long as I have my updated I-20. My F1 visa expired last June 25. Since I am not leaving the country this summer, and I am still going to continue school for another year before I graduate, my stay here in US is valid and legal.

The problem is, if I go out of US, i would need a new F1 visa to come back in. I would like to join a competition in Japan soon and would need a new one to come back in. While in Japan, I would like to focus on the competition and I don't want to be distracted with the responsibility of getting a visa there in order to come back.

So I thought maybe it's easier to renew it while it's summertime at the moment.

Does anyone know if Canada (Montreal) does renewal or extension of visa? And what is the stamp that I read about? Do I need to apply for a new F1 visa again? What is the process, same like filling up the form online and things?

I don't need to pay for the SEVIS fee again, right? I am continuing the same degree with the same school.

Does anyone know how long it takes now to get the visa? I will only go to Canada to get F1 visa and then come back. I cannot stay indefinitely while waiting for the Embassy to mail me back my visa. Can I pick it up the next day or do they really have to mail it? I don't have any address in Canada and would only be asking a friend to do me a favor and drive me there. He has to go back to work soon and can't be having too many day offs.. and hotels are expensive too.

I kept calling the US Embassy in Canada (Montreal), but is on hold for 45+ mins each time, until I just hang up.

Please help!!!!! Try to answer all of my questions when you can... =(

Thank you.

You first need to confirm with the US consulate (not embassy) in Montreal will entertain your application. If they will, then you can set up an appointmentt wit hthat consulate. Bear in mind the worst case scenario. You may have to go to your home country in order to get a fresh F-1 visa.

Please help!!!!! Try to answer all of my questions when you can... =(

You first need to confirm with the US consulate (not embassy) in Montreal will entertain your application. Bear in mind the worst case scenario. You may have to go to your home country in order to get a fresh F-1 visa.

Ok. I will call them up. I hope that $1.89 a minute number will pay off and I'll know what to do.

I know that I do have to go home to get a new F1 visa and thats the worst case scenario. That's why I missed the Italy trip I was offered to go this month. =( I'll update on how it is going.

Should I asked for a confirmation and assurance that if my visa is approved, how long it would take? Is that possible?

Thank you for your quick reply!!! This forum rocks!