Help please (Urgent)

KhannaFan

Could you guys please suggest what is best option in my case?

My daughter is turning 18 in 15 days. We applied for citizenship (N-400) a while back but unfortunately it got delayed due to silly mistakes by USCIS. At last we were called for interview last week and we were through. But we have to wait for another 4-6 weeks for Oath.

Now, we are in dilemma about my daughter's citizenship application. She is on GC for last 6 years.

1) Do we need to submit N-400 for her citizenship immediately after she turns 18 so that she go through same process as ours?
2) OR do we need to wait until our Oath ceremony is complete so that we can apply for her citizenship as a family dependent (like in the case of minor) ?

When I spoke to USCIS customer service, they said, I should wait for our Oath Ceremony and then call back USCIS to check if my dauther is qualified to apply for citizenship as a dependant/family.

There is no "apply for her citizenship as a family dependent". If you take your oath before she turns 18, then she automatically becomes a citizen by law. You don't need to apply for it. You may then optionally (but recommended) file N-600 to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship to serve as an independent proof of her citizenship.

If she turns 18 before you take your oath, then your citizenship has no effect on her. She, as a permanent resident who has been in the U.S. for at least 5 years, can apply for naturalization (N-400) any time after she turns 18. She will be an adult and she will decide whether or when she wants to do this.

Thanks newacct.

We are very nervous :(

So, we have to shed another $700 and she has to wait for another 4,5 months to become a citizen. Are there any risks?

So, we have to shed another $700 and she has to wait for another 4,5 months to become a citizen. Are there any risks?

Risks of your daughter applying for citizenship? Not much, and it depends on her situation.

- If you or she did something that would jeopardize her green card, including having disqualifying factors with her or your green card process, the scrutiny of the naturalization process could expose the discrepancies and result in revocation of her green card.
- Her original country of citizenship may revoke that citizenship when she becomes a US citizen. Of course, it depends on the specific laws of that country.
- If she has upcoming international travel, the appointments for the fingerprinting/interview/oath could conflict with those plans, so in such a situation it may be wise to delay the application until after completing the travel.