Registered Users (C)
Hi-
My application date is july 27, 2007
CSC
SFO local USCIS office
FP on Dec 12, 2007
Got letter for interview on feb 11, 2008
Interview - dated march 26, 2008.

However, I have to travel to India, and returning on April 15, 2008.
So, requested USCIS to reschedule it after April 15, 2008.
USCIS got the letter on Feb 13, 2008 ( as per Express Mail tracking )

After this, I got a letter, from them today Feb 21, postmarked Feb 20, 2008.
The letter is confusing , it says that the interview is cancelled due to unforseen circumstances:

The letter as is:

"This is to advise you that, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel the previously scheduled interview on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 2:45 PM for the above applicant. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

We will advise you of any action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice."

My questions
==========
Not sure if this is in response to my request to postpone the interview or is it something else other than the request?
I am very confused.

Is this a standard USCIS response for a request to postpone interview?
Can someone pls throw a light on it?
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try calling USCIS customer service and ask them about the letter. It sounds like it is in response to your oath reschedule request.

Hello Bobsmyth-

I did not ask for oath reschedule, but asked for interview reschedule.
Would you know the customer service number?
Thanks for your reply.

has any one has similar experience

Does anyone has the similar experience?
Asked for interview postponement and got the letter as:

"This is to advise you that, due to unforeseen circumstances, we have had to cancel the previously scheduled interview on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 at 2:45 PM for the above applicant. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

We will advise you of any action taken on this case, including any rescheduled interview information, under separate notice."

PLS LET ME KNOW.
Thank you.

Hi well i received that kinde notice but not because i wanted to reshcedule but for some other odd reason.......the best way to deal with it is to go to your local uscis office and ask them questions...i decided to call USCIS and they didnt know much so they advised me to go to the office and ask questions

My experience

Does anyone has the similar experience?
Asked for interview postponement and got the letter as:

PLS LET ME KNOW.
Thank you.

olbkin is 100% right. I am going thru the same situation as you are but my DO is Atlanta and secondly, it's for my wife's Green card application (AOS). We got an interview call for her last month and then 2 weeks back received a cancellation notice that said the same thing as your letter, same exact wordings.

I called cust service this morning and the officer asked me to schedule an info pass apptt and see someone at Atlanta DO.

Last but not least, I have heard few cases, esp in your SFO area....ppl getting interview letters and then cancellation notices. Seems like this is a common practice with SFO DO. You are the 3rd case I have heard in the last 10 days. I know you are disappointed but atleast it's not only you. You have other folks/applicants traveling in the same boat with you.

Hope we all get rescheduled soon.

Usually the "unforeseen circumstance" is that your A file did not arrived from the service center in time for your interview. Make an Infopass if you want to make sure things are still moving along.

File

Usually the "unforeseen circumstance" is that your A file did not arrived from the service center in time for your interview. Make an Infopass if you want to make sure things are still moving along.

If my interview was descheduled for May 13th, USCIS had plenty of time to transfer the file from the service center to the DO. Why would they cancel the interview in the first week of April. Does the make sense to you? I have heard the file gets transferred couple of days prior to the applicant's interview otherwise if they transfer the file a month in advance, the DO would not have room to secure those files. There will be a huge stack of files all over.

whatever it is, it doesn't sound like anything specifically related to each of your cases, as the wording is the same and that 3 people got the same letter around the same time, from the same DO/Area.

It could be something as simple as they lost some IOs/staff, due to being sick, or overestimated the number of interviews they scheduled?
still, it would be interesting to see what they say if you guys schedule infopass appts and ask about this ....so, please update if you guys hear/learn something new.

that sucks!

This is an unfortunate scenario. This happened to me 4 yrs back. My interview was schedule in Nov 2004 and they cancelled my interview due to background check. The next date I got for my interview was in May 2006. I waited around 2 years to hear back from them.

Then I waited again two years - and what a coincidence-- I just got a letter in the mail from USCIS saying that my Oath Ceremont is on May 15th.

I had applied for N-400 in Feb 2004 and after >4 yrs I fianlly am getting my citizenship. Hopefully you won't have to suffer as much as I did. I don't really know what to tell you - but you might want to get on the USCIS in figuring out what is the real reason for cancelling your interview.

Is it the background check or are they just being slackers as always..

I don't mean to frighten you - but you really need to get on your case. It might go from a month or two of waiting to years - like it happened to me.

my interview was the reschduled and completed on april 16. passed it waiting for oath letter.

Awesome

my interview was the reschduled and completed on april 16. passed it waiting for oath letter.

You made my day pal. This tells me that we can expect our new IL in the mail anytime now. Keep in mind our original interview was scheduled for May 13th. By looking at your case/timeline, I see that your delay was only for one month. This tells me that I may be scheduled for June, who knows. Ours is not for citizenship case, it's a GC case (marriage based), let's see. I am sure it shouldn't make a difference. By reading and hearing from quite a few ppl, to me it sounds like a staff issue or a scheedule conflict. Did yoy ever find out what went wrong when you were descheduled?

by the way i went for my Infopass at the local office and guess what..........they told me that the file didnt get to their office but they dont know anything else......so, all i can say is just to wait......i had couple of people infront of me with the same issue

by the way i went for my Infopass at the local office and guess what..........they told me that the file didnt get to their office but they dont know anything else......so, all i can say is just to wait......i had couple of people infront of me with the same issue

Thanks for the heads up olbkin. The thing is according to few attorneys I have talked to in the past, even if your interview has been scheduled, the file doesn't arrive or make it to the local Do just couple of days before the scheduled interview. Give you my example. Went twice for my N-400 interview to Atlanta DO back in Jan 2007 and Oct 2007. Both times I received interview notrices from USCIS. When I appeared for the interview, the local DO claimed that they can't interview me since they don't have my file. What does that tell you? O'well, what options do we have except to just wait, wait, wait & wait:mad:

Hello guys
Just wanted to let you know that i went to the USCIS local office today for my interview which was cancelled (i decided to go anyway) and they took me (even thought my file wasn't there) and i passed the test......so, to all of you who's appointment has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances: don’t give up just go there and try to do it anyway, it might work :)

Hello guys
Just wanted to let you know that i went to the USCIS local office today for my interview which was cancelled (i decided to go anyway) and they took me (even thought my file wasn't there) and i passed the test......so, to all of you who's appointment has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances: don’t give up just go there and try to do it anyway, it might work :)

So how does that work? You passed the test, but what about your N-400 application? They have to ask you questions off of the form and review your A-file to determine/confirm that you are eligible for naturalization.

What is the next step for you? What did they tell you? Can you elaborate?

Hello guys

Congratulations..thanks for the info..did they indicate how/when they will render a decision on your case with the case files not available?

i just filled out N 400 right there and they took me with it

Okay - I am happy they were able to do this for you, but just don't get your hopes high on getting the oath letter quickly. They will have to wait for your A-file to come in and then consolidate the new N-400 with the one you originally filled out. Then it probably has to be reviewed by either a senior IO or a supervisor because what they did was create a temporary file for you. So may be a few more weeks and the journey will end for you.

My word of advice, if you don't hear anything in 3 weeks time, call them because most likely your temporary file is sitting somewhere waiting to be consolidated with your A-file.

If you need more info regarding the creation of temp-files, check out the adjudicator's field manual.