• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Help, made a mistake in country of elibility ..

somali001

Dears,

i was selected for 2015 lottery, i went on and completed the online application (D-260) .. few days ago i went to get a police request clearance request and the person working in the embassy who gave the letter told me why did i put my country of edibility as Somalia .. he also said that I'm wasting time and money and that i will not get the visa ..

I have Somali nationality and was born in Saudi Arabia, both my parents are Somali .. do i stand a chance in getting the visa now that i discovered that i made a mistake in making my country of eligibility Somalia instead of Saudi Arabia

please help

Regards,

Unfortunately the person is correct. If your country was wrong but in the same region you'd be ok, but you should have put Saudi (Asia) as it is your country of birth. So yes you will be disqualified. What a pity you didn't read the instructions properly, as they are clear about country of birth being the one to use.

Dears,

i was selected for 2015 lottery, i went on and completed the online application (D-260) .. few days ago i went to get a police request clearance request and the person working in the embassy who gave the letter told me why did i put my country of edibility as Somalia .. he also said that I'm wasting time and money and that i will not get the visa ..

I have Somali nationality and was born in Saudi Arabia, both my parents are Somali .. do i stand a chance in getting the visa now that i discovered that i made a mistake in making my country of eligibility Somalia instead of Saudi Arabia

please help

Regards,

OK - so you have an AF case number I assume - whereas if you were charging to your country of birth (Soudi Arabia) you would have an AS number.

The rules are very clear. Country of nationality is not what your eligibility is based on. In most cases you should choose your country of birth as your country of chargeability. THat is why the embassy told you you will be wasting your money.

There is an exception for the case when your parents are temporarily in a country when you are born. However that exception is normally only available if your country of birth makes you ineligible.

If you were married prior to the day you entered the lottery to a Somali born citizen, that would also be a potential exception - which is elective crosscharging. Again - that is "debateably" only for cases where your own country makes you ineligible.

So - were your parents only temporarily in SA when you were born? Are you married - and if so where was your spouse born?

unfortunately i am not married .. my parents were staying temp. in saudi when i was born but unfortunately there is no way to proof that .. even if i get married now that's a waste since saudi is already an eligible country ..

should i go all the way to the interview to see my chances maybe the officer will understand i made a human error .. or waht

unfortunately i am not married .. my parents were staying temp. in saudi when i was born but unfortunately there is no way to proof that .. even if i get married now that's a waste since saudi is already an eligible country ..

should i go all the way to the interview to see my chances maybe the officer will understand i made a human error .. or waht

There is no discretion on this, even if it was an honest mistake. You will be denied because of it. I'm sorry :(

There is no discretion on this, even if it was an honest mistake. You will be denied because of it. I'm sorry :(

Yeah - this is nothing to do with the CO thinking it was a "human error". There is some "forgiveness" built into the rules for when you choose an incorrect country within the same region BUT when the mistake is concerning 2 regions - there is no forgiveness allowed. In your case the embassy are already alerted to the issue - so if you go for interview they will literally have the denial notice typed out and ready for you.

Hi,

I think that I'm in the same situation. This is very complex. I didn't know the difference between country of eligibility and chargeability.

I was born in Egypt where my father worked as Counselor at the Embassy of Mali in Cairo-so my parents stayed there temporarily (my father is a diplomat). However, my 1st letter states that the foreign state of chargeability is Mali.

Am I disqualified??

Thanks!

Hi,

I think that I'm in the same situation. This is very complex. I didn't know the difference between country of eligibility and chargeability.

I was born in Egypt where my father worked as Counselor at the Embassy of Mali in Cairo-so my parents stayed there temporarily (my father is a diplomat). However, my 1st letter states that the foreign state of chargeability is Mali.

Am I disqualified??

Thanks!

You should be ok, especially if you can prove your parents were there temporarily which it sounds like you can, and especially as he was a diplomat. While you wouldn't be disqualified anyway as both countries are under Africa (so your error did not affect your chances of being selected), you would prefer to be charged to Mali because Egypt has a lower cut off and moves more slowly.

You should be ok, especially if you can prove your parents were there temporarily which it sounds like you can, and especially as he was a diplomat. While you wouldn't be disqualified anyway as both countries are under Africa (so your error did not affect your chances of being selected), you would prefer to be charged to Mali because Egypt has a lower cut off and moves more slowly.

SusieQQQ,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply :) yes it would be advantageous if I was charged to Mali (my CN is AF52XXX) .

Thank you so much, I feel so relieved :)

SusieQQQ,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply :) yes it would be advantageous if I was charged to Mali (my CN is AF52XXX) .

Thank you so much, I feel so relieved :)

Ok. So you will want to prove that your parents were there temporarily. You can't simply say it. If there is some kind of proof of the diplomatic posting and the dates it covered that would probably be ideal.

Ok. So you will want to prove that your parents were there temporarily. You can't simply say it. If there is some kind of proof of the diplomatic posting and the dates it covered that would probably be ideal.

Yes, it's actually written on my birth certificate (father's profession at time of birth). But I'll find other proof.