Help - Input requested

soolong

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I am hoping for some assistance from the experts in the forum.

I am a US Citizen working for a Fortune 50 company. I have an offer to relocate to Australia - Melbourne. I have 2 specific questions for which I need your input / advice. Due to the current economy, I am being offered a local position (as opposed to an expat position). So, it is very important for me to have a good idea and overview of these 2 topics to make a sound decision. Your input, suggestions and ideas are much appreciated. Thanks much in advance!

1. Salary - I live in the Midwest region and earn ~ 100 USD base pay, work in the Information Technology department as Manager. The position offered in Australia is similar. Can anyone give me an idea of what would be a comparable Salary for this in Melbourne area. I did look at some Salary surveys and have a general idea, but need input from expats living in Australia to get a better idea for negotiations.

2. Taxes - I am not familiar with the Tax requirements for US Citizens living abroad. Reading through some of the forums, it appears that that the first 80,000 USD is tax exempt, is that correct? is there any website where there is some sort of a calculator for this purpose? Also, could anyone give me any insights into "Living Away From Home" Tax benefit in Australia, especially how it impacts the tax equation for US Citizens working abroad?

Once again, I am very much looking forward to your valuable input. Thanks much in advance.