Help fill out N-400

GeorgeMetal

Hello friends,

I have been reading valuable information on this forum for a long time. My name is George and I am from Nederlands, I came to the U.S. about 9 years ago thanks to GC lottery program. I got my green card while was a student so I had multiple long trips in the beginning, including one 2-year-trip with re-entry permit. I learned I can apply exactly 4 years and 1 day after the long trip ended, that should be next week!

Questions about N-400:

1) How do I claim 4 years and 1 day eligibility on N-400?
What do I check in the Part 1? "Have been permanent resident of the U.S for at least 5 years" or fill out "Other (exaplain)" If so, what to explain.

2) can I use PO BOX on N-400? Because my apartment mail is not safe.

3) should all trips be listed for the last 5 years only, or should I list everything?
I have been LPR for 9 years and I took one long trip of 2 years which ended back in 2012. Do I put this trip in the table in Part 8? And do I mark "Did Trip Last 6 Months or More? = "Yes" even though the trip began outside the 5 years window?

4) employment, should I list periods of time when I was not employed? Or do I list just the actual employments?

5) all fields that are non applicable for me, should they contain N/A ? Like I am single, no spouse, should I fill all spouse-related field with "N/A" or just leave them empty?

6) Part 10 - Question 7A
"Have you ever not filed a Federal, State, or local tax return since you become a Permanent Resident?"

What do I answer if the first 2-3 years I did not file because I was a student and was not required to file? Do I answer Yes/No ?

7) Part 10 Question 9AB
is asking about group club memberships, should I list membership in my gym for example?

8) Part 10 Question 23
"Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?"

What do I answer if I got several parking tickets, and was summoned for one speeding ticket but had an option to pay the fine and avoid the court? In this case Yes/No

guys if you could help me answer these questions I will be very grateful, thank you

1) How do I claim 4 years and 1 day eligibility on N-400?
What do I check in the Part 1? "Have been permanent resident of the U.S for at least 5 years" or fill out "Other (exaplain)" If so, what to explain.
Choose Other and mention something like 8 CFR 316.5(c)(1)(ii) 4 year + 1 day rule.

2) can I use PO BOX on N-400? Because my apartment mail is not safe.
There's a place to put a mailing address that is different from your residence. You should put your real address as your residence address.

3) should all trips be listed for the last 5 years only, or should I list everything?
I have been LPR for 9 years and I took one long trip of 2 years which ended back in 2012. Do I put this trip in the table in Part 8? And do I mark "Did Trip Last 6 Months or More? = "Yes" even though the trip began outside the 5 years window?
Yes. They will figure it out

4) employment, should I list periods of time when I was not employed?
Yes. It doesn't hurt to list all periods.

5) all fields that are non applicable for me, should they contain N/A ? Like I am single, no spouse, should I fill all spouse-related field with "N/A" or just leave them empty?
Put "N/A" if you can.

6) Part 10 - Question 7A
"Have you ever not filed a Federal, State, or local tax return since you become a Permanent Resident?"

What do I answer if the first 2-3 years I did not file because I was a student and was not required to file? Do I answer Yes/No ?
It doesn't hurt to say No and explain.

7) Part 10 Question 9AB
is asking about group club memberships, should I list membership in my gym for example?
Not sure about this. Most people would not list it.

8) Part 10 Question 23
"Have you ever been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?"

What do I answer if I got several parking tickets, and was summoned for one speeding ticket but had an option to pay the fine and avoid the court? In this case Yes/No
Parking tickets no, because those are not directed towards a specific person. Speeding ticket I think counts.

newacct: you are a rockstar! Thanks for answering the questions. Now I have to find out about my question 7) and 8) more.

The 2 photos I have to submit are going to be used where? On the passport?

Hope you guys don't mind if I leave this thread open, I might have more questions as I am gathering the documentation and filling out the N-400.

Question 7 is out to seek people from fringe groups, mostly, so unless you're a member of Sons of the Dutch Resistance to Federal Tyranny of Groningen, MN, it doesn't really matter what you decide.

Question 8 is iffy. Some people list speeding tickets and the interviewers then mostly embrace that and sometimes ask for proof of them being paid (I listed them in my application, and had proof from the courts). Many probably don't, with no detrimental effect.

The photos are for your file, and for your naturalisation certificate. This has nothing to do with your passport - you will apply for that yourself and provide another photo.

thank you cafeconleche

I do have a few more random questions

9) Should I check Yes/No questions that are not applicable to me? For example "If you are currently a member of the US Armed Forces, are you currently stationed overseas?". That clearly does not apply to me, and I don't know if leave it blank or just say No.

10) The last part 17th asks about Oath of Allegiance, I don't know if I sign it now or later at the interview, the instructions are not clear about it.

11) During my long 2 year trip I did not keep any ties to the U.S. , I just got reentry permit and left. It is a long time ago, but should I try to gather any evidence? Should I list any foreign residence where I lived during that time?

9) Should I check Yes/No questions that are not applicable to me? For example "If you are currently a member of the US Armed Forces, are you currently stationed overseas?". That clearly does not apply to me, and I don't know if leave it blank or just say No.
I would leave it blank.

10) The last part 17th asks about Oath of Allegiance, I don't know if I sign it now or later at the interview, the instructions are not clear about it.
Don't sign it. Don't complete parts 15, 16, or 17.

11) During my long 2 year trip I did not keep any ties to the U.S. , I just got reentry permit and left. It is a long time ago, but should I try to gather any evidence? Should I list any foreign residence where I lived during that time?
I don't think you need any evidence. You were let back in, so there's no issue of you having lost permanent residency. As for continuous residence for naturalization, it's more than a year, so there's no question that continuous residence was broken, and that's why you are using the 4 year + 1 day rule.

For residence address, yes, list it if it is within the timeframe asked.

Many thanks. When I am filling the N-400 I didn't see the barcode showing up. So I tried to install Adobe Acrobat on my Windows and now the barcode is showing up and changing as I am typing in the form.

When I put the "4 years + 1 day rule" that doesn't change anything in the barcode, hope that's okay. Also what will happen if I partially fill out the form on computer and partially by pen? Will USCIS reject that since that the barcode is different? I need to fill out some portion of it by hand, for example I need to attach the big list of foreign trips. Am I worrying too much?

In the meanwhile I found a partial answer to my last question. USCIS website says:
  • The 2D Barcode ONLY captures typed information; hand-written information is not captured in the barcode. As such, please complete these forms fully electronically or fully in handwriting. Also, if you need to make a correction, please start over with a blank form for that page.
To me, is seems to be more safe to just fill out the in handwriting. In that case, does it mean that the USCIS processing time will be way slower?

You are worrying too much. I filled it in electronically, AND I made corrections on the same page. No problems with the document. They don't rely on the barcode 100%.

Great guys, so I managed to send my N-400 yesterday! Thank you.

One thing I forgot! I forgot to put my A number on the back of the check ... is that a big issue?

Hi every one, in N400 new form which was released in April 2016, I am having problem to write down n/a in blank space, also-
Part 8: Information about employment and school: here I only remember the month I change job to a new one, I cant remember the exact date,
Part 9: time outside the us: after I came here I never been outside us, so I wrote 1# 0 day 2# 0 trips in the box, should I also check the box In 3#(did you trip last 6 months or more)?
Part12: addition information about you: Q4# A: Do you now have, or did ever have, a hereditary tittle or an order to nobility in any foreign country? here I checked NO and again on Q4#B: If you answered "YES" are you willing to give up any inherited tittle or order of nobility that you have on foreign country at your naturalization ceremony? here should I have checked the box NO too?
I will highly appreciate any reply here, thanks.

You don't have to select something in the second one because it's obvious it doesn't apply
I do appreciate your comment, newacct. thank u, thank u so much. you can more help me from your best that is-

on N400 new form which was released in April 2016, I am having problem to write down n/a in blank space, also-
Part 8: Information about employment and school: here I only remember the month I changed a job to a new one, I cant remember the exact date,
Part 9: time outside the us: after I came here I never been outside us, so I wrote 1# 0 day 2# 0 trips in the box, should I also check the box In 3#(did you trip last 6 months or more)?

Month is fine for home and work addresses.

Also, you can ignore check boxes and spaces in tables, and when they are follow-up questions that do not apply to you.

Don't worry too much about little details - just make sure you've answered honestly, and if you have doubts, you can mention them during the interview when they go over the whole application with you.

Month is fine for home and work addresses.

Also, you can ignore check boxes and spaces in tables, and when they are follow-up questions that do not apply to you.

Don't worry too much about little details - just make sure you've answered honestly, and if you have doubts, you can mention them during the interview when they go over the whole application with you.

Thank you so much cafecoleche, i do appreciate your comments that help me to do the final touch of my n400 application. Now im going to-
>While the symbol "/" is not applicable on PDF n400, so I decide to put whole ward NOT APPLICABLE instead of N/A, IN UNUSED BLANK BOXES AND ALSO PART 14 & PART 15 TOO.
>The table boxes Leave empty at Part 9: time outside the us:

If anything major happens here plz leave a comments. Thanks again.

Today here i needs you guys last moments help, that is me and my wife can sent both N400 application in a same envelop! Should i use one check for both of us or separate? Thanks in advance.