Health insurance for elderly parents options

polk2233

Registered Users (C)
Sorry if this is not the right space for this question, could not find a more feasible one.

If my elderly (80 and 74 yo) parents get a green card and move to the US close to me (Florida), what would be their health insurance options? I assume I would have to sign some kind of sponsorship guarantee. Does that include medical costs which can be astronomical in the US if something serious happens? Happy to cover all other costs, but health issues can be too high. I've seen some info about a possibility that they can be eligible for ACA or Medicade, but I am not sure these are viable options until full citizenship. Did someone found a good solution to green card holding parents' health insurance coverage? Thanks!

I assume I would have to sign some kind of sponsorship guarantee. Does that include medical costs which can be astronomical in the US if something serious happens?
You have to sign the I-864 Affidavit of Support for each of them. The I-864 does not make you liable for any of their costs. The I-864 obligation is that you have to supplement their income to 125% of the poverty level if their income does not already reach that level.

I've seen some info about a possibility that they can be eligible for ACA or Medicade, but I am not sure these are viable options until full citizenship.
They can buy a plan from the ACA marketplace, and they can get a subsidy if their income is low.

They cannot get Medicaid in Florida until they have had a green card for 5 years. They can get Emergency Medicaid before then, but that only covers emergency treatment (so it wouldn't be necessary if they have a regular health insurance plan from the ACA marketplace).

They cannot get Medicare until they have had a green card for 5 years, even if they are willing to pay for it.