• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

haven't received SSN

ernhem

Hi everyone,

I'm a 2014 DV selectee, I have arrived in the States three weeks ago. Looking up people's experiences online, they typically have received their ssn in the mail within a week to 10 days of arrival. Now I don't mind waiting for it to arrive in a few more weeks, but I'm just wondering whether a month or two wait time is normal or should I just go to the SSA office in my city to inquire about this soon. I have a job and it is still difficult to find time to make a visit to the office, which closes at 3 pm. And their phone number somehow didn't seem to work.
Thanks for your answers!

Thanks for your answer! Will do, but the soonest I could go is probably early next week.
Any experiences to whether they could issue it to you 'sur place' or right away or I'm still likely being told to wait for it in the mail?

Thanks for your answer! Will do, but the soonest I could go is probably early next week.
Any experiences to whether they could issue it to you 'sur place' or right away or I'm still likely being told to wait for it in the mail?

You will probably find they have no record of the application and you will have to apply from scratch. Make sure you take your passport (which has the I-551) and your birth cert just to be safe. Once you apply, you should only wait about 2 weeks or so for the number.