Haven't got receipt or acknowledgement from USCIS....

namasteall2000

Registered Users (C)
Hi – my husband is on J1 visa and completing his residency this month. He applied for J1 waiver sometime in April. His waiver got approved form Department of State and got a letter from them and then DOS has sent his application to USCIS Vermont center on May 17th 2006 . And after that we haven’t heard anything from them.

My only worry is that we haven’t received any acknowledgment or receipt that Vermont Center has received the application and it’s in the system. We don’t have any case number to keep track of the status of his application. We don’t know even it is in the system or lost somewhere and we are just waiting.

Could anyone tell us if Vermont center issue a receipt to acknowledge or a tracking number that an application is received?

Someone was telling that because application was sent by DOS – so acknowledgment would be issued to us because we are not the sender. Is it true?

Please advice.

Your husband has just to call USCIS and ask for information about his case. To me it happened the same. On 18 may USCIS got the favorable recommandation but I didnt get home any notice from them. It may be also to blame the fact that I moved from where I was living at the time when I applied to DOS, so current address in no more good but the mailing address is still same (I received favorable recommandation from DOS at mailing address). The problem is that USCIS mails news at the current address and not the mailing address which I think is stupid...
So I called after a while USCIS and ask them about my case. They gave me the receipt number and since June 3rd nothing is changed to my case status. I'm still waiting and this is killing me.

so...advise: Call USCIS. They give receipt number to check status online but only to the applicant (your husband)
Good luck..and please let me know if any news! ;)

Thnaks for the reply.

Yesterday we called up USCIS - but they don't have any records of my husband's application. We went to our local USCIS office too - they too told the same thing.

It seems that his application is lost somewhere. DOS has to resubmit the application and then it will be a wait of another 3-4 months. I have applies for H1B too - but it seems now I am not going to get H!B because my husband will not get waiver till sep 30th.

Everything is at stake now just because of this loss of application.

Though I am surprised how come application got lost between two goverment agencies.

same issue --- recived DOS favourable rec june 23rd was sent to the Texas service center. Called USCIS july 21 and they had no record of my case...
called lawyer to inform of all the above and she is going to file the H1 with the DOS letter-- apparently you can do that..... I also not received the receipt
It seems alot of people are in the sam situation... they could not have lost everyone's applications.

Hi Chasrao,
Thanks for the reply.
We talked to CIS this morning – they said that normally CIS takes 15 days to get an application to get into system but in our case its more than 60 days so they are advising that DOS should resend the application. Waiver department in DOS has no telephone enquiry – we faxed them twice. Let’s see when they can resend. Everything is at stake.

If application is been resend this month then also it will take 2-3 months to process.

Thanks

As mentioned my lawyer has decided to send the H1B application with the DOS recommendatio letter. Apparently on the immigration lawyer websites there have been other cases that have been approved this way.

All H1B initially go to the Vermont center and as per the lawyer (I cannot find any info online re: this) they will request the info either from the initial service center or request the DOS copies and will give the waiver at the same time as the H1B. The premium processing is 15 working days.....

I am trusting the lawyer, i do not know anyone personally that has had it done. My fingers are crossed

thanks

Out lawyer suggested that we should request DOS to resend the application and once CIS acknowledge that they have received the papers - he will file H1B.

Attroney wants to give two weeks to DOS....

I am still hoping that papers would be with CIS and not lost. But there is no use of living in a fantasy world as it is over 65 days now....

Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to resurrect this thread to write about my experience:

My DOS recommendation was forwarded to USCIS on January 24, 2007. It was towards the end of February and I still had not gotten a receipt notice. I called USCIS customer service, who asked me for my last name, first name, and date of birth. They could not find my case at all. They said sometimes it takes up to 45 "working days" to appear online and advised that I wait. I called a week later and still nothing. After the first week of March, I called again and the immigration officer (I was always transferred from Customer Service to an Immigration Officer) suggested that I send an inquiry to the Vermont Service Center, which he did on my behalf. He said I would receive a response within a month. I continued to call USCIS every Friday, yet there was no record, and no news from the inquiry.
I was beginning to think that they had lost my case entirely, especially as the DOS transmits the recommendation to USCIS "electronically" and therefore, it should appear in USCIS's systems almost instantly. However, at least 2 other people (and another on this thread, I see) had reported that their cases were thought to be lost and that were was no record of their waiver at USCIS, but after 2-3 months they would suddenly get an approval out of the blue. Therefore, I didn't really panic.

Last week, as I was getting ready to call again, something occurred to me. The J-1 waiver application was initially sent to the DOS using their form DS-3035. This form asks the applicant to enter their name exactly as it appears in their passport. In my passport, my full name is not written in English, only my first and last names, and two middle initials. If my name was Ahmed Mordechai Smith, my passport wrote my name as Ahmed M T Smith (the extra T is a cultural thing). So I decided to try and give USCIS my name as Smith, Ahmed M T instead of just Smith, Ahmed. And BINGO - they found it! Not only did they find it, but it had just been approved and the notice was sent. They gave me the receipt number so I could track it. Apparently, the case had been received on Jan 25, right when DOS sent it (or the day after).

Therefore, the moral of the story is that if you think your J-1 waiver is lost:
1- For J-1 cases, give your name as you wrote it on your DS-3035, i.e. as it appears on your passport even if that is not how you normally write it.
2- USCIS is apparently NOT issuing receipt notices for J-1 waivers received from the DOS every time, only sometimes (I and others on this forum never received one).
3- It may take a long while for some cases to be processed. Most cases received around the time mine was received at USCIS were approved within a few days to 2 weeks at most.

Just thought I'd share.

Addendum: In late April, after I had already received my final J-1 waiver approval notice, I received a separate response to the inquiry that had been sent to the Vermont Service Center during one of my calls to USCIS as noted above. The letter stated that they could "not find a record of my filing an application" !!!! My application had already been approved, but they were never able to find my name without those two pesky middle initials in their records!!!

Last edited by a moderator: