Hartford CT - N-400 Timeline

You are welcome. :)

...Anyway this is what I am going to do, me and my wife both have the ceremony scheduled at 8:30 AM. At least one must go to the airport early so, I am planning to go to the court for 8:30 ceremony and request them to move us on 10:30 slot. If they agree then fine, if not I will take the oath and request my wife's to be scheduled for a different time slot or a different day (in which case I need to send a letter to CIS). At least I can be there to make sure that they will move our files (cerficates...etc) properly.

Thanks again for the info, I would have no clue (about different ceremonies on the same day) if I hadn't read your post.
I think you both will be fine then.
Congrats and good luck!

Please advise

I have been following this forum for quite some time and trying to find if someone else is in the same boat as me.
My interview took place in Hartford CT during the first week of April. IO gave me N-652 (No decision can be made)saying that you can expect to hear within two weeks. It has been almost three months now and I have not heard anything back from them. I even took an infopass appointment but to no vail. They just said the case is under review. I do not know what kind of review are they talking about. To my surprise, officer did ask me a lot of questions on my previous employers, who sponsored the green card, how many employees, information about my previous clients etc. etc.

If anyone of you could advise as to what is going on with my case, I would really appreciate it. Thank You!

Congrats on IL.

On which day will you be completing 5 years ( after Green card ). Just trying to come up with some trends in processing

Thanks san1. I am actually tracking for my wife, which is only 3 years. We applied 90 days prior to her 3 year anniversary which is allowable by USCIS. Her interview is approximately 3 years and 1 month after her GC date.

Hi Hollywoodfj,

How did your interview go?

Hey san1. It went well. I made two errors on my N-400 application, but the officer was really nice about it. I guess I got lucky. I was asked to write and say a sentence about Abraham Lincoln and my six questions were the standard six questions you'll read about in people's blogs.

The officer did have the oath letter ready when I was there and gave it to me that day. Given that Hartford is probably the slowest District Office in the country, it was great to not have to wait for the oath letter. From arriving to departure, which included picking up lunch across the street, two hours.

Good luck to you and everyone you're filing for. Can't wait to end this journey September 9!

Last edited by a moderator:
A not-so-happy Hartford applicant here. I had my interview today, everything went fine but the officer requested that I submit more information. They want a signed affidavit from my husband (I am applying on the 3-year rule) as well as official tax transcripts from federal and state taxes. The officer was not interested in any of the tax form copies I had brought, neither did she ask for any other joint documents or such. I understand that every case is unique, but I am annoyed by this and dealing with the IRS (and two state tax offices!) is not fun.

A not-so-happy Hartford applicant here. I had my interview today, everything went fine but the officer requested that I submit more information. They want a signed affidavit from my husband (I am applying on the 3-year rule) as well as official tax transcripts from federal and state taxes. The officer was not interested in any of the tax form copies I had brought, neither did she ask for any other joint documents or such. I understand that every case is unique, but I am annoyed by this and dealing with the IRS (and two state tax offices!) is not fun.

Did your husband not join you at your interview? If so, he could have signed it then and there as was done in my situation. The interview officer also called me two days before the interview to bring tax transcripts or copies of our tax returns for the past three years. We did the latter.

We also had two children together during the three year period, which is probably why they did not demand the tax transcripts. We lived in two states as you did, so I cannot even fathom the inconvenience you have go through. Good luck and I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

The interview officer called you before the interview? That is very nice of them!

I did not occur to me to bring my husband to the interview; I thought this was mainly a test and all my previous applications had gone through without a glitch. I had all the papers on their "checklist" (which is not really a checklist after all) and even more, I've always paid my taxes and I had studied their 100 questions for months. On the other hand, I did not change my name after marriage and we do not have any children, so clearly I must have married my husband with the sole purpose of getting citizenship.

And yes, getting tax documents from IRS and two states is a big pain in the neck. I have 30 days to submit all documents. Pennsylvania takes 4-6 weeks to send out tax transcripts. Go figure... This was supposed to be such a joyous occasion and I was getting genuinely excited about being an American. Now, I'm not so sure.

Hi GreenLady,

Were you able to get the transcripts from CT?.Can you pls let me know the process involved?

The interview officer called you before the interview? That is very nice of them!

I did not occur to me to bring my husband to the interview; I thought this was mainly a test and all my previous applications had gone through without a glitch. I had all the papers on their "checklist" (which is not really a checklist after all) and even more, I've always paid my taxes and I had studied their 100 questions for months. On the other hand, I did not change my name after marriage and we do not have any children, so clearly I must have married my husband with the sole purpose of getting citizenship.

And yes, getting tax documents from IRS and two states is a big pain in the neck. I have 30 days to submit all documents. Pennsylvania takes 4-6 weeks to send out tax transcripts. Go figure... This was supposed to be such a joyous occasion and I was getting genuinely excited about being an American. Now, I'm not so sure.

Oath Ceremony postponed/cancelled by Hartford DO - Please advise.. Need help.

Hi All,

It's around one year back that we mailed our N-400's on Oct 17th 2009 and every thing went smoothly and had our interview on Feb 12th' 2010.We were given our Oath letters on the same day and the Oath was scheduled for March 5th 2010.

We received a letter on March 4th 2010, saying the Oath was "inadvertantly" scheduled because of "administrative error" and we do not need to attend the ceremony on March 5th 2010, but should wait for further communication.This was a shock for us.

I called up National Cust Ser. Center and and the Officer told me that it happens sometimes when too many people are scheduled for the same day. She advised that we should return our original OATH letters to Hartford DO and request for rescheduling our Oath Ceremony at a later date. Accordingly we returned our oath letters along with our request for rescheduling and waited..

I took an INFOPASS for April 1st and spoke to an officer at HArtford DO. he pulled up my case in the system and said it is with other supervisor for verification. He also said it is very common that some cases will be re-verified. he told me to be patient and not to worry and check back with his office in 30-60 days if I do not receive any updates. I returned home and waited..

I took again INFOPASS for June 2nd and spoke to another officer at Hartford DO. She pulled up my case and looked at my previous OATH letter and the subsequent cancellation letter. She said she would have to check with her supervisor and she does not have any information in the system. She returned after checking with her supervisor and told me that they are still waiting for some information from FBI. She said I should check back with her office in 60-90 days if I do not receive any updates. She also advised that I should talk to NCSC instead of coming local office, because by logging a request with NCSC I can receive a written reply on my case status. I returned home and waited..

On July 1st, I called up NCSC and requested for case status by giving all the details. I immediately received a e-mail from USCIS, Virginia, with in two days,stating that my case is actively being pursued and will be notified once a decison is made. I read the email and waited ..

We went on vacation(to our home country) and returned couple of weeks back.We had sincerely hoped that we would have our new oath letters in the mail.But luck did not favor us.

My GC is based on employment and my wife's petition is dependant on me.I never had any issues with any of my previous processes (H-1/GC).

I know it's a long post , but people who read through my ordeal, please advise as to what I should do next.. I greatly appreciate your help..

Please chat if you need more info from me..

DO: Hartford, CT

10/15/09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville TX
10/25/09: N-400 Rec. (Per USPS)
11/12/09: Rec. FP letter
11/25/09: FP done
02/12/10: Interview Date
02/12/10: Oath Letter (Received same day as interview) (03/05/10: Oath Date (Hartford))
03/04/10: Receieved a letter postponing my oath to a later date.

04/01/2010: 1st infoPass asked to wait
06/02/2010 :2nd info pass asked to wait
07/01/2010: called NCSC, received e-mail from USCIS virginia, case is actively being pursued and will notify once the decision is made.

Hi SVGIRI,

I can see how frustrating it must be for you when something like this happens. When all seems to be completed, but then something happens and you are helpless to get more information. I think you shold actively try to get some answers. Have you tried contacting local senators and/or the CIS Ombudsman? See the CIS Ombudsman's wbsite below to find out how to sumbit case problems:

http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/editorial_0497.shtm

I will also suggest you to post your request for advice under its own thread. I kow, I rarely visit threads that are not to do with my DO. Therefore if you post under a separate theread I am sure you will get a much wider audience and thus more responses.

All the best to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sertra2000,

Thanks for the valuable advice. I did not know about CIS ombudsman service. I have just completed writing letter to my local congressman. I'll be mailing it tomorrow. I 'll certainly post the question on the main thread tomorrow. Also I'll try submitting my request to CIS ombudsman tomorrow. Thanks again for your help..

Hello san1,

The CT letter was the easiest request. Here's a link for the procedure: http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?A=1510&Q=445332&drsPNavCtr=|48964|#48965 . Basically I just mailed a letter with the required information (names, address, ssn, etc) and about a week later I received a letter stating that all my records were fine and all taxes paid for the requested year. Re-reading the request from USCIS, I think this should be enough - they only wanted to see that I had filed and paid taxes, it seems.