1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

H4 visa holder can work as volunteer?

Discussion in 'General H-1 and H-3 Visa and Related Issues' started by m78768, Sep 30, 2003.

1. m78768

m78768 Registered Users (C)

H4 visa holder can work as volunteer?

I know that H4 visa holder cannot get paid, but can work as volunteer without salary? Could any of you let me know the place where this has been told officially? Any BCIS website or DOL site?

Thanks a lot
  2. jaxen

jaxen Volunteer Moderator

yes. If you search the legislation links in BCIS website, you might find the clause that requires employment authorization for non immigrants to work in USA. Salary requirements etc. are posted there.
    By the absence of salary or contract for volunteering, it can be concluded that H4 can offer their voluntary services. However it should be noted that there is a difference between volunteering to substitute teaching and creating a .Net solution for a commercial client.
  3. dzxing

dzxing Registered Users (C)

my 2 cents

Based on what I read somewhere long time ago, H-4 is prohibited from volunteering if he, being a volunteer, occupies the position that U.S. worker can occupy and _get_paid_ for that work. The reason is that any competition for U.S. workers from foreigners has to be approved by Department of Labor in form of LCA.

I can't give you any reference, though. Take my words with grain of salt, but perhaps do a little more research on this topic...

/dzxing
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2006