H4 visa holder can work as volunteer?

m78768

Registered Users (C)
H4 visa holder can work as volunteer?

I know that H4 visa holder cannot get paid, but can work as volunteer without salary? Could any of you let me know the place where this has been told officially? Any BCIS website or DOL site?

Thanks a lot

yes. If you search the legislation links in BCIS website, you might find the clause that requires employment authorization for non immigrants to work in USA. Salary requirements etc. are posted there.
By the absence of salary or contract for volunteering, it can be concluded that H4 can offer their voluntary services. However it should be noted that there is a difference between volunteering to substitute teaching and creating a .Net solution for a commercial client.

my 2 cents

Based on what I read somewhere long time ago, H-4 is prohibited from volunteering if he, being a volunteer, occupies the position that U.S. worker can occupy and _get_paid_ for that work. The reason is that any competition for U.S. workers from foreigners has to be approved by Department of Labor in form of LCA.

I can't give you any reference, though. Take my words with grain of salt, but perhaps do a little more research on this topic...

/dzxing

Last edited by a moderator: