H4 - SUBMIT DS160 BEFORE MARRIAGE

Surdy8677th7

I am getting married on July 17th 2017. I have the following questions regarding submitting DS160 for my TO BE spouse:

1. Can I submit DS160 now for my TO BE spouse with status as 'married'? Interview will be scheduled after marriage i.e. on 26th Jul 2017

2. If yes to above point, certain forum do not advise to do so. Could this result in denial for H4?

Submitting the form now and claiming a married marital status would obviously be a lie. You're not married until you actually get married.

You have to sign the form before submitting and by signing, you're attesting to the accuracy of the information you've provided on it. You cannot list a yet to happen wedding date while submitting the form with a today date.

Until the moment you're married, the future spouse has no relationship to you. Declaring "married" on the ds160 would be misrepresentation\false\lying.. which would result in not only a visa denial, but also a potential ban on him\her. Is that worth gaming the system to try save a few months?

Surdy,

Can you tell me what did you do as i am going throuhg the same situation. Although some forums have also advised that you can choose other option and say that you are engaged to be married.

Let me know what option you choose.

Surdy,

Can you tell me what did you do as i am going throuhg the same situation. Although some forums have also advised that you can choose other option and say that you are engaged to be married.

Engaged to be married means fiance, not spouse. H4 requires the applicant be married to the H1b spouse.

Surdy,

Engaged to be married is not a recognized status for immigration purpose, unless of course one is applying for a K1 visa. H4 is for a spouse - someone who is already married to the H1B visa/status holder.