1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

H4 and Volunteer Work

Discussion in 'General H-1 and H-3 Visa and Related Issues' started by ab001, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. ab001

    ab001 New Member

    A friend of mine would like to create a prototype of his idea. He has incorporated his company. He is working on the prototype and would certainly benefit from some help. If I am on a H4 visa, can I do some volunteer work for my friend. If yes please tell me what paperwork needs to be completed by my friend like should he give me a letter stating that it is just volunteer work.

    Please note that my friend is not in a position to pay me (or anyone for that matter). I am hoping to get some hands-on experience. Would appreciate your input.

    Thanks in advance....
  2. GCChaahiye

    GCChaahiye Registered Users (C)

    H4 cannot work voluntary anywhere EXCEPT for those non-profit organizations
    whose basic nature itself is volunteer work like the Red Cross, etc.

    So,you cannot work for that friend even if he does not pay you.

    DO NOT MESS YOURSELF by either filling out some paperwork and/or filing them with the USCIS. You will only be asking for BIG trouble.
  3. ginnu

    ginnu Registered Users (C)

    ---- above info is correct, you canot work becase that work can be done by US citizen so you are NOT supposed to do that job. it is illegal work and you will be in problems

Share This Page