H1B Visa REvalidation - 7th Year Ext. - Chennai

amantha

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,
I have a question about 7th year H1b visa revalidation at Chennai.

I am currently on H1b visa (7th year extension) which is (I797) valid till 01-Jun-2007.
My passport isn't currently stamped with latest I797 which is valid till 01-Jun-2007.

I might have to visit India sometime in March. Before returning I need to revalidate my passport to reflect the visa.

Since current visa in my passport has already expired, though latest I797 is valid till 01-Jun-2007, would it be a problem to get visa stamping/revalidation done at Chennai consulate?
Is there any time restriction that says visa revalidation MUST be done PRIOR to (x days/weeks/months) I797 expiration date which is 01-Jun-2007 in my case!

Has any body went thru' similar situation?

Thanks for sharing your experiences/suggestions in advance.

1. As long as you have maintained your status with timely H1 extensions, there should not be any problem caused by the expired Visa Stamp on the passport while going for visa revalidation during international travel. However make sure you have all the required documents with you. I did this myself, but choose to go Ottawa, Canada to get the Visa revalidation stamp before traveling to India.

2. I don't think there is any rule saying your 797 needs to be valid for such and such period while going for Visa revalidation. The only such rule I know of is for the passport, which should have minimum 6 months validity.

Good luck!

amantha said:
Dear all,
I have a question about 7th year H1b visa revalidation at Chennai.

I am currently on H1b visa (7th year extension) which is (I797) valid till 01-Jun-2007.
My passport isn't currently stamped with latest I797 which is valid till 01-Jun-2007.

I might have to visit India sometime in March. Before returning I need to revalidate my passport to reflect the visa.

Since current visa in my passport has already expired, though latest I797 is valid till 01-Jun-2007, would it be a problem to get visa stamping/revalidation done at Chennai consulate?
Is there any time restriction that says visa revalidation MUST be done PRIOR to (x days/weeks/months) I797 expiration date which is 01-Jun-2007 in my case!

Has any body went thru' similar situation?

Thanks for sharing your experiences/suggestions in advance.

Though there is no rule indicating the visa validation time, keeping only very few months ( 3 months time in three years) going for visa validation is not advisable. Counsel may ask proof of the candidate having job offer for future years if you do not have your extention paper in your hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. As long as you have maintained your status with timely H1 extensions, there should not be any problem caused by the expired Visa Stamp on the passport while going for visa revalidation during international travel. However make sure you have all the required documents with you. I did this myself, but choose to go Ottawa, Canada to get the Visa revalidation stamp before traveling to India.

2. I don't think there is any rule saying your 797 needs to be valid for such and such period while going for Visa revalidation. The only such rule I know of is for the passport, which should have minimum 6 months validity.

Good luck!

When extension occurs every year ( I mean 6+ extension case) it is very difficult to get a travel arrangement to do visa revalidation immediately after getting new 797 extension. Have anyone experienced difficulties due to shorter validity period of I797? Is 4 months validation sufficient?
I have a plan to do revalidation during May last week. The 797 expires in October.

I asked my father to take the DD's in HDFC bank in Hyderabad.He got the reciepts and he told me the Barcode number.When i try to enter the barcode number to schedule an appointment, it says invalid Reciept number.Can anyone of you tell me how a barcode number looks like..Like how many characters etc.Just to make sure that my father sent me the right number.I waited for 2 days after the reciept was issued and i still get the same message.

Thanks in advance

I asked my father to take the DD's in HDFC bank in Hyderabad.He got the reciepts and he told me the Barcode number.When i try to enter the barcode number to schedule an appointment, it says invalid Reciept number.Can anyone of you tell me how a barcode number looks like..Like how many characters etc.Just to make sure that my father sent me the right number.I waited for 2 days after the reciept was issued and i still get the same message.

Thanks in advance

It takes a few days for the system to reflect the new codes. This should be a 10 digit numeric.

When extension occurs every year ( I mean 6+ extension case) it is very difficult to get a travel arrangement to do visa revalidation immediately after getting new 797 extension. Have anyone experienced difficulties due to shorter validity period of I797? Is 4 months validation sufficient?
I have a plan to do revalidation during May last week. The 797 expires in October.

If you travel with 4 months validity remaining, you may file the extension (for the next year) and take receipt notices with you. A H-1B extension may be filed as early as 6 months prior to the expiry date of the current term.