H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

Lost Passport - Need Help

I am Indian Citizen and Permanent Resident of Canada. Working here in US on H1B (Valid till Sept 2005) from last 4 Years. I lost my Passport in US Postal Mail and applying for a duplicate passport at Indian Consulate NY.
I would appreciate if anyone of you can help me to know

How much time it takes to get Duplicate Passport from Indian Consulate NY?

Is Passport No. going to be same in Duplicate Passport?

How Duplicate Passport process works?

Once I will get it can I go to Canada and do H1B stamping on Duplicate Passport at US Consulate in Canada? I have police report and xerox of original passport.

If so how much will be the fee and the mode of Payment?
Please help me.
Thanks

H1 stamping in Canada

Need some help gurus. I had an old passport that expired in 1998 and my new one expires in 2008. Do I need to take my old passport also with me when I go for H1 stamping? The problem is that the old one is in my parents home in India and my parents are here with me in the US so it will be quite difficult to get it. Do they need to see all old passports? My old passport has no visas, edorsemnets, etc on it. Pls advice.

old passport is only needed if you have a valid visa that you might want to use, or the last visa issued that you want to renew. I have not read anywhere that you need old passport in every situation.

Auto-Revalidation process

Hi Gurus
I have a question on my H1B Auto revalidation process

I have a H1B visa stamped on my passport, which expired in Feb 2004.
Received a H1B extension, which is valid till May 2005.

I am planning to Canada in End of Aug 2004.
Can I come back with I94 (Feb2004) and expired H1B visa stamped?
Or I have to go to my home country (India) to get the visa stamp?

It’s a same case with H4B also

Bhushan

H1B revalidation in Canada

Anybody got their H1B revalidated successfully in Toronto after these new rules? (After July 16th) I am planning on going to Canada in September. Thank you.

H1B & Green Card Question

Good-day to you all!

I have a 2 fold question;

1. When can I petition for my green card, I was recently approved for October 1, 2004.
2. How safe is it to go to Canada for H1B visa stamp.

Thank you profusely in advance. Your humble servant!

I will be applying to get my / spouse's visa (H1B/H4) revalidated at Mumbai Consulate for re-entry in United States, I have few questions about the some of the documentation required for interview.

Taken from http://www.visa-services.com/interview-working-offline.html

Supporting Documents
H1B / L1 Applicants:
5. The official evaluation of your educational and work credentials

Questions
What is required for the official evaluation of educational credentials? University degree certificate will do, or is there any format for evaluation that needs to be duly signed by college/university authorities? ( Please mention if there are any other alternates permissible too. )

What is required for the official evaluation of work credentials ?

Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanking you.

H1 stamping from canada

Hi

I do not have the H1 stamp on my PP. please tell me if I can get it done in canada.

Also what docs do I have to take with me?
Will I be able to enter US if they refuse the stamp?
What is the process to get started?

Thanks

H1 visa stamp - pending I-140 approval

Hello Forum,

Any one got H1B visa stamp at border post or home country during recent times pending I-140 approval.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

regards,
printent

Recent H1B-Canada

Hi,

Did anyone go recently for H1B stamping in Canada? My H1B was approved and it is valid from 1st of October. I have a couple of questions.....

1. How soon can I go to Canada for stamping? I mean, can I go somewhere in the last week of Sept even though the effective date is Oct 1st, 2004. I am currently on F1 visa.

2. Some of my friends were saying that it is advisable to go for stamping after I receive a couple of paystubs under H1B status. But I am planning to get married in October which would not leave much time to get all these things done. I wouldn't want to go to India for stamping, coz that would be too much pressure on me.

3. Will the name of the company help me make things easier. It is a very big company with around 3,500 employees and it has a couple of branches in Canada too.

Any advices and suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Praveen.

H1B stamping from canada

After I had made a reservation at the ottawa consulate, I received a personalized message at my voice mail that "after the interview it takes 3 to 60 days before I get visa. Passport will be returned to me, but I will have to stay in the Canada, and will not be able to cross back to USA.

Any experience?

Hi Folks,
Just wanted to share my H1 stamping (renewal) experience (problem) at Tijuana. Eventhough this happend at Tijuana, it might be relevant to other consulates too.

I work as research scientist for a medical device company and my area is chemistry. Scientist profession / chemistry area falls under Technology Alert List (TAL) and that is one of the main reason for the trouble I had.

Just for your information, the bank at Tijuana opens only at 9 am. So, make sure your appt is at a later time (although they allowed me to report at 9 after getting the draft. Had appt at 8 am). I got called in at about 11 a.m.

The consular asked me what I do and I told her that I was working as a research scientist and I develop insulin formulations. She glanced at my wife and kids and asked me if they were my family, I said yes. She asked me if I had travel plans and I said yes. She then said " I am glad you are here because, your case will take a little longer to process". She said I needed a security check. I asked her if that meant that I will be stuck in Tijuana. She said that she is NOT cancelling my (expired) visa and I MIGHT be able to go into San Diego based on the valid I94. She said that she will call me once the security check is complete or I could call them after 5 weeks. My passport was stamped "received appln on 09-14-04" and was given back along with H1 papers. She took my job description and typed it in her computer (for security check).

I came down to the border. The person at the border who checked my documents said that I cannot enter the country as I do not have a valid visa. I tried to explain to him that the consular said that it is fine. He refused and refered me to OB Court (I don't know what that means). Basically I had to go to another office building and meet an officer. I had to wait about an hour (during which I was calling my travel agent to figure out how I can fly out of Tijuana to India!!). That officer looked at my childrens passport (US Citizens) and then looked at my Valid I94s and then said that "you are good to go!!". He took the new I94 stapled it on the passport and stamped "entered on 09-13-04" and then when I came back to the regular entry point again, I was allowed to enter the country.

Moral of the story, if your occupation is under TAL list the chances are that they might make a security check. This might happen at any consulate including India. (perhaps that is what the consular said that "I am glad you are here". Just prepare your backup plans, no matter where you go. One more thing, I saw her "log" for security checks, it had a lot of chinese names like lu, lee, etc. The log had about 25 names. Which means Tijuana is involved with at least 25 security checks. Now the issue is whether the 25 checks were ordered in 1 year, 6 months, ???? So, the frequency of these checks are unclear. As far as I could see, I did not see Indian names (just had a couple second peek at the log).

If you fly into Canada and Mexico, you will not be able to come back as they would collect your I94. If you drive, you have some chance especially if the consular does not cancel your expired visa. In my case everyone involved including the consular, immigration officer might have given me a break as I had my wife and two children aged 3 and 6.

The article at http://www.faegre.com/articles/article_1053.aspx and some other articles that I read suggest that "people listed under TAL MUST undergo security check". So, if you are in TAL don't try at Mexico or Canada. Go to India and be prepared for a longer wait.

I will try to update once my security check come through so you guys can have an idea as to how long it takes for the check.

Meanwhile, if any of you know the time it takes for security check, please let me know.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, I will try to answer.

ela

Last edited by a moderator:
Ottawa H1b Stamping Experience

Hi-

I had appointment with the Consulate office in Ottawa on September 13, 2004. The appointment was at 10 am. We reached consulate at 9.45 am and were admitted inside after security screening. The security gaurd (at 2 points) verified the appointment letter and checked the list of appointments they had. We were asked for Form DS 156 at the first desk inside the office. They asked me to glue the picture on the form and attached the form to my passport and the fees (USD 100). He asked me to proceed to window for paying fees. Once paid the fees, they informed me to wait for the name to be called.

In about 25-30 minutes, they called me Finger print. The officer was very courteous. She informed me to wait for my name to be called after taking my finger prints. In about 15 minutes, my name was announced once again. This was the actual visa interview. This was my second H1b (my first H1b expires in October 2004). She asked me what do I do for my employer and what were my responsibilities. The I was asked to produce the letter from employer confirming my employer. Then I was asked to produce my Transcripts which she verified and returned back to me. I was not asked for anything else. No salary or pay slips were demanded.

She then asked me to pay the reciprocity fees (USD 50 for India) and return and show her the receipt. So I paid the fees to cashier and produced the receipt to the officer. She was very polite and courteous. She informed that I need to bring the receipt and a red slip that she gave me to collect my passport at 3 pm.

I went to consulate at 3 pm and they promptly started issuing passports at 3pm. This is done at the consulate gate and there is no security check. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

I stayed at Radisson (bid on Priceline.com). Its about 20 minutes walk from Radisson to the consulate. There are places where you can park for a fee near consulate. The two places I found were: The mall - Ridaeu and there is a pay park one block from the consulate.

Landing in Canada and H1 stamping

Hello folks,

I have got my Canadian immigration and planning to land in November. I have h1 approval till mid 2006, my stamping has been expired. After landing I want to apply for H1 stamping in Toronto. I am from Pakistan. Could somebody from Pakistan post their experience of H1 stamping in Toronto? I have 4 year degree from my country and this would be my third stamping.

Thank you.

P.S. I know that if Toronto doesn't give my visa, I will have to go to Islamabad.

H1 & H4 stamping at Vancouver

Wanted to share my experience of getting the H1 and H4 visa stamps at Vancouver.

Too appointment more than 1.5 months before. Had appt at 9:00 AM. The queue at the consulate starts early in the morning. You will not be allowed inside the consulate if you arrive before your slot, but it is possible that there may be people ahead in the queue who have an appt before or after your time. Only when it gets, say 10:00 AM, they'll call any remaining people in the queue who still haven't been called. I suppose they give the appt so that not everybody shows up at the same time and cause a traffic jam :)

The security guad will make sure you have the appointment confirmation letter, passport and cash (yes, CASH ONLY, no Credit cards, etc.). It's $100 per applicant, + $50 per applicant from India. The cashier will then ask for the Passports, Application form with photo, I-797 & Cash. You'll go to another sction, where after a brief wait, the officer will meet you. Depending on the type of visa, there may be a couple of questions. If you have a previous H1, it's likley be very brief. They'll take your fingerprint, ask for the additional ($50) fees if any, to be deposited, and will give you a receipt to come and collect the passports at 3-3:30 in the afternoon, same day.

Anybody with this receipt can collect the passport.

for worker_bee

Hi worker_bee,
where did you stay in Vancouver? Was it close to the US consulate? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

H1B stamping in Canada

Hi,

My H1b visa expires at the end of March 2005. If I go to Canada in Jan 2005 for 2nd H1b visa stamping and for some silly reason if the 2nd H1b stamping in Canada is denied, would I be allowed to come back to the US on previous H1B visa which would be valid until March 2005. Thanks a lot.