H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

saneesh8 said:
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the information. Is it mandatory to give DS-158? Also we can go before the current one expires and thats a good news to me.

They(preliminary screening/$100 fee cashier) returned my DS-158, so I supposed it is not required at all.

Yeah my current H1B stamp and I-94 will expire on Jan 2005, but I was able to revalidate my new visa till 2006, so you should have no problem.

Thing is, I think it is better to do while you still have some validity on your visa stamp, so that you have at least a chance to come back in the US in case you didn't get approved.

Oh I I forgot to mentioned something. On our way to the US/Canada border, we made a U turn and thought that was the right building, but apparently it turned out we went back to the US immigration port of entry. We told the US immigration officer that we were supposed to go to the Canadian border and we were told to make another U-turn back.

So I supposed we tested our visa first to see if they will allow us with the old visa and yeah they did. :)

H1B extension

Hi, everybody!
My question is not related to the thread, but may be anyone of you experiensed something similar and can give an advice. My friend's lawyer got two H1B visa extension papers for my friend: one for the employer and another one for the emploee (the form with I-94 on the bottom). The lawyer sent both papers to employer's address and the emploee's part has been lost. Unfortunately, and I think it's very unprofessional from the lawyer's side, the regular mail has been used, so there is no way to trace the document. The lawyer said that the only way to get the lost document is to refile the extension and to wait 6 more month for the approval, etc. Do you think it's true? The employer still has his peace of the document.
Thank you for your help.

i am in the same boat.Visa was refused because of one year expiration.have you gone to canada to get yours stamped, if yes what was your experience

To Sayeed

"Visa was refused because of one year expiration". What does that mean? Your visa on the passport is expired before one year?

my last h1b stamp had expired for more than one year so i couild not get it revalidated at st louis.

could you please tell me is it really taking 3 days for appoved visas(stamping) to be issued, in toronto?

thanks

Need Help for H1-B Visa Stamping in Canada

My H1B visa is expiring in Oct, 2004 and planning to go to Canada before Oct. for H1 stamping. Will I get the Canada Visitor Visa as my US Visa is expiring with in six months. I understand that some countries does not give visa if US visa is expiring within 6 months.

Any one in my situation?

Thanks

Going to expire, Please advise

Hi,
Please advise.
My H1 visa stamp and I-94 in my passport expired in August 2003. I have a valid I-797 approval till Oct 2004 and I have applied for an H1 extension also. Do you think it is OK for me to go ahead and send to St.Louis today the application for visa revalidation? It will take about 10-15 days for the documents to reach Washington D.C and by the time they process the application, my visa would have expired more than a year. Do you think that is grounds for refusal? I am not willing to risk a refusal or a cancellation without prejudice. I am not planning to travel out of the country anytime soon. I know I can stay here legally as long as the I-94 on my I-797 is valid. Please, let me know what you think of this situation.
Thanks,
OHenry

Henry

I had sent it 3 weeks before 1 year of expiry period to St Louis. I got mine done in 5 weeks from St Louis.

To Smxhan

Smxhan,
Thank you very much for your reply. Can you please tell me when you sent it to St.Louis and till when is the visa stamped ? I am wondering about the feasibility of taking this risk when the visa stamp will be stamped for only 2 more months (The current I-797 validity is only till Oct 2004). I have heard of people staying here with valid I-797s but no visa stamp. Will there be a problem with that? I appreciate your response.
Thanks,
OHenry

henry

I was in a similar situation like you. So I requested my lawyer to have an early date on new h1. I did premium processing I was able to get new h1 3 weeks before 1 year expiry period and my new h1 is valid for another 1 year.

The other solution my lawyer suggested that since new h1 will have start date after current expires I can send both I797 current (which will expire in 1 month) and new and DOS will give stamp based on new h1. But I did want to do it that way. So I requested early date.

basically bottomline is , i got my h1 extension approved before 3 weeks of St louis stamp expiry period.So I was able to send it for stamping.

To Smxhan

Smxhan,
Thank you very much for your reply. I wish I had applied for my extension earlier. Looks like it is going to take a couple more weeks to get that. No possibility of using that to revalidate. I guess I will have to get the current one revalidated for a few more months. Is it OK to not get it stamped if I am not planning on travelling outside the country?
Thanks,
OHenry

meaning of Valid I94

tnadkarni said:
1. Stamping your VISA "cancel without prejudice" doesn't effect your stay in the US. Your I-94 determines how long you can stay in the US. At this point though you can't re-enter the US if you leave the country without a new visa stamp

2. You can get it stamped in Canada/Mexico as long as you have valid H-1B (I94, I797)etc.

3. I don't see any problem with getting a new stamp as long as you've always been in status.

I know friends who haven't had a valid US visa for years. It's perfectly legal since a VISA is only required for re-entry not for staying in the US. That's why, if you look at the NJ DMV they don't even look at your VISA but your I-94 to determine whether you are legal in the country.

Please let me know meaning of valid I94?
I have one expiring 4 years back, which was signed when I came in US first time, As I never went back , I have some I94 printed ones came along with I797 approvals . So are these printed one too are vaild?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
valid I-94 maens that the admitted until date is not expired yet. At a time only one I-94 is valid the one that was issued last. In ur case the I-94 that came with last approval will rule, and will be valid till the admitted until date on it or the expiration date as the case may be.

But you need to keep all I-94 and their copies as when u travel next u will have to travel all I-94's till that date.

F1-H1 conversion - can I get visa from canada

Hi gurus,
I came to US on F1 visa status and befor emy OPT expires I got a job and got a my H1B done through my employer.

I live in claifornia and I would like to know if I could goto vancouver and get the Visa Stamped. Would like to know if anyone had recent excperiences with this.

Also what are the risks involved in case they reject the visa stamp?

Do I need to get a canadian Visitor visa even if plan to drive by road?

Desiny

H1 rejected in Canada. Please help

Hello

My brother went to canada to get his H1 stamped and they rejected his H1 saying that he should get it stamped from home country. He is working for a consultant and he was on bench for 6-8 months.. They are asking him to prove why he did not get paid for those 6 months. They looked at all previous H1s and Tax returns and W2s, asked for photos and told him it is not clearly approvable.

Please HELP what he should as he will not get an appointment in India for months....

Any advice will REALLY HELP.

H1B stamp in Canada

Can anybody help me in getting some info

My 1st H1B stamp on passport is expiring on Sep 17, 2004. I got my Canadian immigration approval and I am going to get Canadian Immigration stamp on passport on Aug 3rd, 2004.

I got my first H1 Stamp from my home country as US consulate appointment department asked me to go to my home country to get visa stamp and they never gave me an appointment for H1 visa stamp in Canada.

My H1 extension approval is expected in a week time.

My question is
* Can I make an appointment at the US consulate in Canada before the (Visa Stamp) expiration (17 Sep 2004).

* I am planning to Land in Canada very soon after my Immigration visa on passport. Do I need PR card to get appointment for H1B visa stamp at a US consulate in Canada.

* Do the US consulate stamp H1B visa on same day. How much time do they take…I got my H1B stamp from my home country in one day.

*I am planning to go to a US consulate before September 17, 2004 so that If they tell me to go back to my home country for visa stamp, I can enter USA on my old valid visa before it is expired...Is my understanding correct?

I really appreciate your help.

Immiadvice: Thanks for the excellant post. Have you heard of any cases where it did not go smoothly. I have heard that it is better to go to India to get H1 stamped.