H1 Visa stamping experience- Canada

(1) Get an appointment at a US consulate in Canada
(2) Get a Canadian visit visa
(3) Make the appointment

My first H1B visa is from India , it is due for renewal in May2010. I would like to understand the procedure involved in going to Canada for stamping.

Thanks for all your help..

Hello Everybody,

My H1 B visa has been expired on 15th sept 2009. Before that I changed my employer on feb 2009. Now iam planning renew my H1B visa in canada next month...
Iam an Indian Citizen...its my first visa re-stamping ... I got my first visa frm my home country...
Does it affect in visa renewal process due to change my employer? Is it possible to renew my visa in canada or back to my home country to renew it.

Plz advise

Canada Ottawa consulate stamping 8 March
Stayed at HolidayInn rented a car , got the scottia bank deposit slip from a near by bank.
Morning 9:55 AM eached embassay, interview was at 10:00,Security checked my confirmation letter and asked me to go to cashier window , cahier window person was realy sweet and was joking all the way. Asked 1) what visa am i applying for ?- H1b 2) what is my status in canada - Tourism - visitor visa , took the scotiia bank slip and gave me a number
my number was annouced and they called my number for finger printing. after finger printing again waited for my interview. my number was announced
VO officer
Is it same company you are renewing your visa for ?
nope, i changed company.
Which one are you working for ? and what do they do
xxxx
what is your role in it
xxxx
could you please explain company business once again
xxxxxx
i took out my emp verification letter and he saw that and asked my payslips, after payslips he was just chatting with me regular chats. and told me that visa is issued and you could collect passport day after tommorow.
:) Keep life simple with keeping everything straight and legal and there wont be any issues ...

H1 Stamoing at Canada

Hi All,

I came to know one interesting fact. If you went to Canada for stamping by road, you can claim gas expenditure in Tax benefits.

Good luck

Hi,

I got appointment in ottawa on may 1st week but i havent got the canadian visit visa yet from new york consulate. It is been 13 days including holidays. I have applied through mail. How long it took for you all to get the visa?

Thanks.

Rajesh Pillai

I came to the US on F1 and havent left the country since. Now working on H1B and want to get a new stamp from Canada in order to visit my home country.

How long is it taking? When I tried to do this the last time in 2007, I got a call that my case would take long so I didnt risk it.

Please advise.

That depends on multiple factors. Name, age, gender, citizenship, etc. Your name check may return within 72 hours or it may take months in the worst case.

How long is it taking? When I tried to do this the last time in 2007, I got a call that my case would take long so I didnt risk it.

Original I-797B Action of Notice

Hi guys,

I have just received my passport with my first H1B visa in it (US consulate in Toronto). I have a question regarding I-797B form. During the interview officials in the consulate took my original I-797B form and did not returned it together with passport. I still have a simple copy of approved I-797B Notice of Action. Will I need to contact the consulate regarding the original I-797B form?

Us I understand I will need the original I-797B Action of notice at the point of entry and + for SSN application. Will copy of I-797 work at the POE and for SSN application?

Please help me to resolve this.

Hi, I came to US from China as a F1 student in 2001. Last time that I went back to my country was Dec 2003. Therefore, my last visa stamp on my passport was a F1 visa, expired in March 2004.

I started working using a H1B visa from September 2004 until now.

I am considering to get my first H1B visa stamp from US consulate in Canada, but I have a few concerns:

(1) I heard that it is not allowed to get your first H1B visa stamp from US consulate in Canada anymore. Is it true?
(2) Also, I heard that now if you are declined with visa request, you will not be able to get back to USA.

Any help or directions to the official regulations on the issues will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

I need to get my H1B renewal stamp. I got my first H1B stamp from my home country. I also received my Canadian permanant residence this year.Please suggest if it is advisable to get my H1B stamp from Canada or should I travel to my home country? Thanks.

Earliest Appointment location and time

Hi,

I am planning to get a H1B stamp in Canada, I have MS degrees from US. Any recent experiences with the appointment booking preferences and turnaround time? I am trying to plan a home visit soon so need to know how quickly I can get an appointment to get the visa stamp, and which location is least crowded (went to toronto for my first one 5 years ago, but it seems quite crowded now). I'm still renewing my passport so can't use the US visa online appointment system to find out the earliest dates for each consulate... help please

Having benefited a lot by reading all the posts here, just want to share my experience to benefit others.

Background:
• Haven’t been back home for over 10 years since first entry to the States.
• Canadian PR

Scheduled the appointment in Toronto with the new system (I think it is much easier to book appointment now than the older system).

Drove to Toronto 2 days before the appointment

In the morning of appointment:

• Check appointment letter
• Security check (make sure no cell phone)
• First screen ( I don’t know why they have two interviews, but I guess this step is to make sure you have all the documents ready and check your status to make sure you are legal at US if you come for a return visa?)
• Wait for finger print -> Finger print -> Wait for interview
• Questions I can remember:
Your purpose to US?
What is your responsibility?
Why US? Why this company?
How did you know this company?
What is your degree?
Which school did you graduate?
Any relative in the State? What do they do?
Any kids?
What is your purpose to Canada?
Your visa is approved.

I waited 7 business days to get my visa. I guess this may caused by the new system. Be patient (I was nervous)

My advise to you is to stay confident, be prepared (do some study on possible interview questions), dress business.

Good luck to all of you.

Had appointment this week in Vancouver for H1B renewal and got 221(g) administrative processing with no request for more documents. My question is:

1). Has anyone else gotten a 221(g) in Vancouver and how long has it taken for them to get their passport back?
2). Since my old H1B visa stamp is still valid till the end of the month, can I ask them to return my passport without the new visa stamp so at least I can travel back to the US and then reapply from my home country (India)?

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Chicagoboy3.
Based on all the discussions going around, my advise would be move back to US asap and collect ur passport immediately.
Dont wait as 221g can move you to any direction including Visa denial.
Stay in US if nothing is urgent in your home country for ur visit.
Cheers,

DHL Passport Delivery in Canada

I'm planning to get my H1B visa renewed for the third time, but for the first after they start using DHL for passport delivery.
How long does it usually take from the interview day to passport pick-up at DHL in Canada (Vancouver)?
I want to know whether it is next day or 2-3 days in order to schedule my trip from US to Canada.

I'm planning to get my H1B visa renewed for the third time, but for the first after they start using DHL for passport delivery.
How long does it usually take from the interview day to passport pick-up at DHL in Canada (Vancouver)?
I want to know whether it is next day or 2-3 days in order to schedule my trip from US to Canada.

I scheduled my interview on Tuesday.
Does anyone know that I can pick up my passport by the end of day Friday?
If not, does anyone know if DHL in Vancouver opens on Saturday (in April) for passport pick-up?
I checked DHL website for Business Hour but it showed "Store hours may vary due to seasonality."

Hi,

This is my first time on H1 (wife on H4).

I'm planning to go to Canada for stamping both visas. But have no idea where to begin.

Could you please help me as to where I should begin (step 1).

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Hi,

This is my first time stamping for H1 (H4 also).

Could you please advise what is the entire process? How do you go to Canada (with what visa?)

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,