H1 Visa Revalidation Experiences - Mumbai Consulate

Ds156 , Q 36

Hi,

What should be the response for Q.36 on DS 156 form, Has Anyone Ever Filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on Your Behalf? Most of us who are going back for validation are in some stage of GC application. Do we have to mention the stage, like 140 approved?
Does it affect the visa decision? thanks in advance for any input

if you have your 485 filed then Yes and mention the company name. if NOT then just write NO. Carry all your notices and receipts. if they ask only then tell them what is the latest situation of your application

Thanks paradkaram,
My 140 is approved and I am waiting for priority dates, still not filed 485. I justy checked with my colleague and he mentioned that our corporate lawyer told him to write YES (he also has not filed 485).. However, i think saying NO and carrying all receipts seems like a safer option.
Can some other users contribute to this topic?, someone who has gone throuigh the process already?

if you have your 485 filed then Yes and mention the company name. if NOT then just write NO. Carry all your notices and receipts. if they ask only then tell them what is the latest situation of your application

Your friend is right. You have to write "YES" if anyone filed I-140 application on behalf of you.

If you say "NO" you might get into trouble because of false information.

I am not a lawyer,please talk to your immigration attorney.

Thanks paradkaram,
My 140 is approved and I am waiting for priority dates, still not filed 485. I justy checked with my colleague and he mentioned that our corporate lawyer told him to write YES (he also has not filed 485).. However, i think saying NO and carrying all receipts seems like a safer option.
Can some other users contribute to this topic?, someone who has gone throuigh the process already?

I-797 Question

Hi,

I had a quick question. When my stamped passport was returned by the US consulate in Bombay, they did not return my original I-797, is that normal? Is that something which is needed at the US port of entry. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Gurus, please help me...

-Came to US on B1/B2 June 2001
-Application for Change of Status from B1/B2 to F1 October 2001
-Approved for F1
-Graduated with BE in May 2006 and applied for OPT
-Approved and currently on OPT till June 30, 2007 (Legally stay in US till Aug 30 with two months of grace period after OPT)
-Applied for h1b with current employer and approved as of Oct 1, 07

Meanwhile, I never been to India.

Now... before I get out of status, I want to visit India and get my h1b stamped most likely in August at Mumabai consulate... Shall you consider going Canada or India?

Do you think I will have any intention issues as I have stayed in US for more than 6 years...

I am afraid to go to get my visa stamped?... Any suggestions/thoghts will be helpful and appriciated....

Hi All:

I had my visa stamping done last week of Jan. I was not asked lot
of questions. My appointment was at 12:30. By the time I reached the
consulate it was about 1:15 (courtesy vfs shuttle) Then
went through a security check and was in the waiting area of the consulate
at around 1:45.
Once inside there is no concept of interview time. People were being called
at random for an interview. There was someone sitting next to me
whose interview appt time was 10:30!!

anyways at around 2:15 my token number (along with about 7 others) was called for an interview at a window. I realized that all were H1/H4 visa
applicants. I was second last in the queue. I noticed that the visa
officer was not asking many questions and all the applicants before me
were out in 3-4 minutes.

When I entered the interview booth, these were the questions asked.

Which company do I work for
How much was my salary
Since how many years I have been working with them

Thats it.

The visa officer did not ask for any documents at all.

Though I recommend carrying everything as mentioned
on their site and in this thread.

I think copy of I-129 petition should be fine (in reply to my own question
earlier !!)

Anyways the interview was over in 3-4 minutes

Good luck to all

inqsit

Did you originally entered US with h1 stamped or on B1/B2?

DS 156 question for H-1B stamping

Hi

I am planing to go for H-1B stampng in Mumbai some time in June/july.

I am confused about what to write in question-31 of DS 156 form.

I came here on student visa in Jan 2001 and currently h-1 approved (not stamped) since March 06.

When I orginally applied for student visa in Oct 2000 I was given probably 221 G. then I reappeared in Dec 2000 and my Student visa were granted.

So on my DS 156 what should I write in question-31 - which ask " Have you ever been refused US visa ? Yes or No?

Does replying yes will result in denial of H-1 Stampng? I work for reputed University in USA and already working there since last two yrs. I also have my I-140 approved and I-485 pending.

help from experienced members will solve my confusion.

thanks

Hi,

What should be the response for Q.36 on DS 156 form, Has Anyone Ever Filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on Your Behalf? Most of us who are going back for validation are in some stage of GC application. Do we have to mention the stage, like 140 approved?
Does it affect the visa decision? thanks in advance for any input

I had answered Yes to that question. I was at the I-140 application stage and there was no problem at all at Mumbai Consulate. In fact answer honestly to all questions.

I am curently residing in the USA and need to go for stamping urgently. I don't see any dates for June and July for Mumbai.
Does any one has any idea what is the wait time for non-immigrant visa stamping in Mumbai consulate for month of June and July 2007?

for couple of days i have been trying to check the appointment dates in july but the site site keeps showing that "appointment is not available, please check back later"... what is going on? does it mean that appointments are already full ? does anyone know? please share... thanks
I am curently residing in the USA and need to go for stamping urgently. I don't see any dates for June and July for Mumbai.
Does any one has any idea what is the wait time for non-immigrant visa stamping in Mumbai consulate for month of June and July 2007?

Cool2006, I just booked an appointment for 5th July at the New Delhi consulate. For some reason, the VFS website is allowing appointments only at the New Delhi and Chennai consulates. I have already booked my tickets to India and didn't want to miss the dates so I went ahead and booked the New Delhi appointment.

H1B stamp - passport

Gurus,

I have a H1B stamped in my passport from my current employer and is valid until Sep'07.

Recently, I accepted new offer from another employer and have an approved I-797 from future employer (validity from May'2007-May'2010). I have resigned from my current employer as of 1 June 2007, and my last day at current employer is on 15 June 2007.

Main question - I have plans to go to India before I start my new employment possibly on 18June, 2007. Do you think I can come back in US based on existing visa stamped on my passport from current employer OR it is mandatory to seek new visa stamp on my passport of future employer.

Please respond if any one was in the same situation. Unfortunately, there are no dates available right now and I don't now how to proceed.

Thanks for all your time and responses.

i had been in a similar situation before and came back on the stamped visa of prev employer..
Gurus,

I have a H1B stamped in my passport from my current employer and is valid until Sep'07.

Recently, I accepted new offer from another employer and have an approved I-797 from future employer (validity from May'2007-May'2010). I have resigned from my current employer as of 1 June 2007, and my last day at current employer is on 15 June 2007.

Main question - I have plans to go to India before I start my new employment possibly on 18June, 2007. Do you think I can come back in US based on existing visa stamped on my passport from current employer OR it is mandatory to seek new visa stamp on my passport of future employer.

Please respond if any one was in the same situation. Unfortunately, there are no dates available right now and I don't now how to proceed.

Thanks for all your time and responses.

8-10th year extension stamping in Mumbai

8 thro 10th year 3 yr extension based on 140. Old visa stamp expired 3 yrs ago.

Wife was in India 2 months before me, so she went to VFS and dropped off package after I scheduled appt online (had to check many times a day for about a month to get the date I wanted). I arrived one day before Interview date to Mumbai. Went to VFS center at 9 am (apt was at 10:30), Used restrooms etc. then were asked to wait outside as they allow use of waiting room only 1 hr before apt. Were informed that the consulate was running behind schedule and that VFS shuttle will take us in when called. We waited in the waiting room after storing our stuff in the locker. They provided bread sandwitch and coffee/tea (part of the packge). Then at almost 11:10 they took the 10:30 batch to consulate. There was a seperate line for people who went direct to consulate, and we bypassed them. They then called out Single women and women with babies and let them in directly, then they called families (couples etc) and put us in one line and took all other single guys to another enterence.
Inside, after security stood on a line and showed apt letter, they pulled our forms out and verified. I needed a new photo as my walgreens photo was lousy. fortunately I was carrying another set, so they asked us to wait while they update my forms in the system. Then they asked us to go to Window 1 for fingerprinting, and then wait.
Got called to a window in about 15 minutes. He was courtious, but asked a lot of questions in rapid fire. I answered all questions. He asked my wife a few questions and then said ok we will issue you the visa, you will get it in 3 days. I said I wanted to wait and pick it up in the evening and he was very friendly and told us good luck for the long queue at vfs for pickup. wished us well and we went out.
Questions that I remember he asked:
1) where do u work
2) how much pay
3) how many people in company, where are the offices.
4) where do you work again.
5) how many years with company
6) how many years in US
7) How are you on 8th year, have you filed gc. *I had maked YES for the question in form*. I told him I had an approved 1-140 but had not yet filed 485. He said ok.
8) Where did u graduate, I said India, He said where, I told him the name of univ., What Degree - BSc.
9) What was your subjects
10 Asked wife directly, when were you married,
11) Have you been to US before: wife got a bit confused and said NO, I went to US only after marriage, not before. He just smiled and asked do u have any kids, we said yes, us citizen.
12) "we will issue you the visa". I started thanking him, he said hold on hold on, gave me a slight scare, but the hold was just to close my case, then he said ok, now your visas are issues, you will get them in 3 days.....

- He did not ask to see any papers. I was prepared with pay stubs, original offer letter, fresh letter from company, tax returns, a few work and marriage photos, original degree and marksheets and certifications. etc.

THINGS TO REMEMBER: They keep the interview letter at consulate, but you will need to produce it in evening to pick up pp, so please keep a copy of letter and also copy of pink slip on which you will need to sign and hand over at counter.
We had to spend Rs 55 to pirnt out interview letters at a cybercafe again in the evening.

plese guide me

hello everybody,
I need some information. I am going for h1b visa stamping (for the first time) at mumbai consulate.
I have so many questions......Could anybody tell me.......Is it really tough at mumbai consulate ? do they ask so many question and r they very tough in issueing visa ? Do they ask technical questions ?

Thank you

Could somebody help

Friends,
We are going for visa on Aug 8th at Mumbai.
My wife was in H1 orignally nad moved to H4. Later we again moved her to H1 and she is working now on H1.
As we are going to India, we need to stamp her H1. If there are any issues with H1, is it possible to show H4 approval and get H4 extended?
Anybody had this situation earlier?
Appreciate immediate reply.
Thanks.