1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Obama's LEGAL immigration reform.

What does it mean? Listen to November 21 conference call recording. Subscribe to Our YouTube channel to be notified as soon as the recording is posted.

H1 to J1 transfer

Discussion in 'General J Visa and Related Issues' started by Shrutikoul, May 12, 2011.

1. Shrutikoul

Shrutikoul New Member

Hi, I am currently employed in H1B visa as postdoc. Now, I am changing my job and I will commence my job on J1. So, it is a H1B to J1 transfer. I applied for change of status (form I539) on Feb 9, 2011, got receipt, but till now (May 11, 2011) I have no decision on my I539 case.
    My anticipated start date of J-1 program with new employer is July 1. So my question is: If I do not receive timely answer on my case until July 1, can I continue my current employment on H1B? Is there any stringency that i need to terminate my current employment on June 30/2011 to ensure that I do not remain employed with current employer beyond the anticipated start date of my J-1 program with new employer. Thanks, shruti

2. angela20

angela20 Registered Users (C)

Applying for changing status to J-1 must be done with great caution. Certain categories of training impose a 2 year home residence requirement on the primary non-citizen and the derivative beneficiary.