H1 Extension/Transfer Tracker

hopesr,

H1 is a document which allows you to work. From you post, it seems you also have an EAD. An EAD is also used for working. This means, if you have a EAD, you really don't even need H1 anymore.

I don't know when you got your EAD, but if you had an EAD in Sept 2002 (when you applied for H1 exnt), then you did not even need to apply for H1 extension. Anyway, since I am not sure about how many years you have been on H1, and when you got EAD, and other things, all I can say is that if you have an EAD, you can work, and you dont need an H1.

Thanks ksnm

Ksnm,
I recently got my EAD. Since I applied for extension , I wanted to continue on H1 instead of using EAD. So I didn't use it.
thanks

reason for denial

Hi Guys,
Does anyone has any idea what would be the reason(usaully) for H1-B extension denial. Any one had this situation.
Please share.
Thanks

If you got EAD after you applied for H1, it may be that they denied H1 because now you have EAD. You don't need H1 once you have EAD.

EAD vs H-1

There is a fine line between working on EAD and working on H-1, so people might want to stay on H-1 and NOT use EAD for the following reason.

Once you have applied for green card and filed I-485, you are in the special immigration status which is calles AOS (adjustment of status), and if you leave US without obtaining advanced parole I-485 gets abandoned, EXCEPT for the case when you do EBGC in which case you will still be in H-1 status until you got GC and while I-485 is pending you can leave the country and enter back on H-1 visa.

If you submit I-485 with I-765 to get EAD, obtain EAD but do not USE it you are still in H-1.

But, if you have used EAD to accept employment from another employer you lose H-1 status (because H-1 is only for a approved employer) and switch to AOS status. Now, you can not enter the country on your old H-1 visa, and you need AP. (I don't know whether and how is it checked -- may be just by asking you at POE?... but technically I think this is how it's supposed to be).

That's one possible reason why people might want to stay on H-1 and not use EAD.

/dzxing

Last edited by a moderator:
H1B Tracker

H1B Transfer Approved

RD: 03/03/03
AD: 05/06/03

It was filed in regular processing.

Hope it will be helpful for those who are waiting.

How many days to update their message system?

My RFE for H1 was send to VSC by my employer on May 8th (confirmed by airborne). I would like know how many days usually it takes to update their message that we received your RFE response. Please share your experience. Thanks

No exact idea, but it comes pretty soon....like a few days. Maybe you will see it by Friday.

7th year approved

H1 7th year extension approved today. Took 3 months.

Saw the approval on case status online.

Receipt date: 13 feb 2003
Approved date: 16 May 2003

My H-1B extension case had a RFE, since the attorney has put the wrong date on the application. Now the BCIS just received the response for the RFE.

Is there anybody who knows how long it will take BCIS to approve the case once they receive the response?

Thanks a lot!

May_140

my case

in my case, i had received an RFE for my H1 extension. Sent reply on 24 December 2002. Approval came around start of Feb 2003.
So roughly it took 5 weeks.

I don't remember exact dates.