• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

H.R.1178 - SAFE for America Act

MonFD

The 2 bills Kate's law and sanctuary cities bill passed quick. Kate's law was introduced by Ted Cruz in 2015 and passed now house of representatives in 1 week. This shows that bills can get passed very fast, so for ppl who got selected for 2018 dv lottery this could mean until October 1st we really don't know if we will get interviews or not :( I wonder if the bill would cancel 2019 or 2018 winners as well ? The effective date is 1 October 2017. If it really comes down to votes, I think mostly congressional black caucus would be against passing the bill because around 50% of the winners are from African countries, however they are only 45 members in the house of representative so not sure how much power they have. Anyone with more knowledge on this? Also anyone knows why in previous years they couldn't eliminate the lottery?
Here is the bill link https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1178/text?q={"search":["HR+1178"]}&r=1

Last edited:
@Xarthisius not sure why we can't engage in heathy conversation about this topic so we can draw educated conclusions. I guess burying your head in the sand is the preferred alternative here.

@Xarthisius not sure why we can't engage in heathy conversation about this topic so we can draw educated conclusions. I guess burying your head in the sand is the preferred alternative here.

Question to you, MonFD: how comprehensive is your understanding of how bills become law in the US? (I'm guessing that, for example, if you had to ask why "anyone knows" why they couldn't eliminate the lottery in previous years, you may not understand that there can be a vast chasm between passing the House of Representatives and getting signed into law.)