• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Guys! Need ur help :(

Wafaa.kh86

Hi all ,
I've been selected in DV lottery 2017 program, I was born in France but lives in Egypt My Ref# is starting with AFxxxxx not EUxxxxx !!! I'm pretty sure I entered my data rightly !! People told me you might be rejected in the interview & warned me not to send my case to the consular :(
Tell me what could have gone wrong & what to do pllllz :'(

Last edited:
There is no way you would have ended up with an AF CN if you entered your information correctly like you said above. If you're born in France, you should have been charged to the EU region.

The only way forward for you will be if you're married to someone who is born in an eligible African country and who meets the minimum educational requirements, then you could cross charge to your spouse.

You may also be able to cross charge to your parents assuming they were also born in a qualifying African country and they were only temporarily in France when they gave birth to you.

Outside of these two scenarios, you will definitely be disqualified at the interview.

There is no way you would have ended up with an AF CN if you entered your information correctly like you said above. If you're born in France, you should have been charged to the EU region.

The only way forward for you will be if you're married to someone who is born in an eligible African country and who meets the minimum educational requirements, then you could cross charge to your spouse.

You may also be able to cross charge to your parents assuming they were also born in a qualifying African country and they were only temporarily in France when they gave birth to you.

Outside of these two scenarios, you will definitely be disqualified at the interview.
Well , my parents were born in Egypt ! Am I safe now ?

And am I cross charged automatically to my parent's country of birth or there's something I'm supposed to do !? Excuse my panic plz & bear with me ..

Electing to cross charge (elective cross charging) to the birth country of a spouse has probably always been possible but was clarified in the guidance documents about a year ago. However, the example they gave does not cover elective cross charging to a parents country of birth. That sort of cross charging exception is described as being possible when the selectee would otherwise be in a non eligible country. Since France is eligible, that is the country you should have chosen (and obviously didn't), so I believe there is still some risk. I would say your chance of approval is probably highest in Cairo embassy, because you will be less unusual there.

When I read the country of eligibility part while applying , I was scared that France is ineligible country , I opened the link on the same page to make sure it's eligible & I found it !! I entered "France" ! I'm 100% sure I entered it correctly !! I remember the scene clearly !! couldn't it be a technical error there ???

When I read the country of eligibility part while applying , I was scared that France is ineligible country , I opened the link on the same page to make sure it's eligible & I found it !! I entered "France" ! I'm 100% sure I entered it correctly !! I remember the scene clearly !! couldn't it be a technical error there ???

No, I am 100% certain it is not a technical error. You most likely selected Egypt hence your being charged to the AF region. The system wouldn't have automatically defaulted to something you didn't select.

Well , my parents were born in Egypt ! Am I safe now ?

Well, were you parents temporarily stationed in France at the time of your birth? Do you have verifiable documents to prove this?

Even though cross chargeability to one's parents country of birth is allowed if one were to be from an ineligible country, I would say give it a short if you can prove your parents were temporarily based in France at the time of your birth (assuming you're willing to gamble with the costs processing the selection will involve).

Gamble with the costs = it's a risk case, you may end up loosing all the money you would have spent should your case get denied.

Yea my parent's diploma certificates ..
Sorry didn't get the gambling part !

And how does their diploma certificates prove they were in France temporarily? Did they leave France right after graduation? Do you have proof of this? What kind of residency did they have in France? Student visas???

And how does their diploma certificates prove they were in France temporarily? Did they leave France right after graduation? Do you have proof of this? What kind of residency did they have in France? Student visas???
Yea student visa , I'll collect all the proofs we have but would it help :(

While revising my data on the winning page :
Case Number : .....
Principal Applicant name :....
Preference category :.....
Foreign state of chargeability : Egypt !
Maybe I chose to be charged to Egypt when asked : Do you want to be charged to the country of eligibility yes or no , maybe I chose no & selected egypt ??
What do u think n what r the consequences ??

Maybe I chose to be charged to Egypt when asked : Do you want to be charged to the country of eligibility yes or no , maybe I chose no & selected egypt ??

It's really not rocket science - this is exactly what we've been saying all day. You must have selected Egypt as your chargeability country hence your being charged to the AF region.

And for goodness sake, we've already discussed the possible outcome!!

No, I am 100% certain it is not a technical error. You most likely selected Egypt hence your being charged to the AF region. The system wouldn't have automatically defaulted to something you didn't select.

... and out of a list of 200 countries, the "technical error" just happened to pick the country you live in now....

As Mom says, there is no doubt you caused your own problem.

Not maybe. That's exactly what you did.

LOL at people trying to lie/justify their mistakes and seek validation on an anonymous forum.