• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Green Card Holder who won the DV lottery

booleenut

Hello there,

My husband obtained a green card in 2009.

In 2010, and for family reasons, he left to return to our home country (Malaysia) without any idea of the duration of that stay. He did not have the time to get a reentry permit at the time and has not returned to the US since then.

In 2016, he applied and won the 2017 DV Lottery visa. We have attended the interview and now awaiting for our passports and visas.

Based on the facts above,

- Is he considered to have relinquished his permanent residency when he left without re entry permit?
- Is there a chance, that he may be denied entry when we go to the US?

Thank you.

Hello there,

My husband obtained a green card in 2009.

In 2010, and for family reasons, he left to return to our home country (Malaysia) without any idea of the duration of that stay. He did not have the time to get a reentry permit at the time and has not returned to the US since then.

In 2016, he applied and won the 2017 DV Lottery visa. We have attended the interview and now awaiting for our passports and visas.

Based on the facts above,

- Is he considered to have relinquished his permanent residency when he left without re entry permit?
- Is there a chance, that he may be denied entry when we go to the US?

Thank you.

So what was discussed at the interview??? SURELY that would have been a good time to ask these questions?

The CO did highlight that he should have gotten the re entry permit; took the greencard he was holding and advised that it will be included in the packet and returned to him when he enters the US.

My question was will the CBP Officers allow him entry? Is having a Diversity Visa allow automatic entry by the CBP Officers?

Frankly speaking, I think he's deemed to have abandoned his LPR status. He's most likely not going to be entering the US based on that previous GC, he will be entering and processed as a new immigrant - that's my take.

Hi there, noted and many thanks. I hope so too. Just nervous that he might get denied entry even if he has the Diversity Visa.

Hi there, noted and many thanks. I hope so too. Just nervous that he might get denied entry even if he has the Diversity Visa.

I can't think of a reason as to a denial if he's coming in with a valid IV. Not unless he has some undisclosed/outstanding issues with his previous stay in the US which in that case would have been caught by his background check anyway.