Green card holder - Want to study abroad

vik30000

Registered Users (C)
hi all,

i have been a permanent resident for over a yr. i wish to go study abroad. the program abroad will lat 4 yrs.

If I get a re-entry permit and come to US every yr during my school break, is that ok?

Also, how does this affect my application for naturalization after 5 yrs.

Also, what is this rule about staying minimum 180 days in US, if you have green card?

vik

Well, we discussed exactly this topic into deep. That's also my case.

My case is just slightly different because I got my green card through lottery in time when I was already student.

Your eligibility for naturalization will be postponed because you not gonna spend most time in the U.S.

I think you will be OK to keep your green card as long as you intend to live in the USA. The "intend" is important I think. You can get your reentry permit and return before 2 years are up - stay for couple months and apply for another one. The more you come to America, the better for you, but generally school should be taken as a temporary reason for staying abroad. Along with documentation from school you shouldn't have problems.

Others agree with me?

If I get a re-entry permit and come to US every yr during my school break, is that ok?
Maybe, but the permit is valid only for two years and the second one might be given for less than two years.
You're going to be spending 9 months or more per year outside the US for the next 4 years? That will almost surely cause you to violate the continuous residence or physical presence requirements or both. So you'll have to rebuild the required years of residence after you've stopped studying and returned to the US.
Also, what is this rule about staying minimum 180 days in US, if you have green card?
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if you leave the US for more than 180 days you will be considered to be "seeking admission" when you return, which allows them to scrutinize you and refuse entry in ways that wouldn't apply if you had left for less than 180 days. And for naturalization purposes, spending more than 6 months outside the US is presumed to be a break in residence (which would reset your 5-year clock).

If one stays outside more than 6 months with valid reentry permit is one "seeking admission"?

If one stays outside more than 6 months with valid reentry permit is one "seeking admission"?
Yes. After 6 months (actually I think 180 days is what is written into the law, which is a bit less than 6 months) you are "seeking admission", whether you have a reentry permit or not.

hi all,

i have been a permanent resident for over a yr. i wish to go study abroad. the program abroad will lat 4 yrs.

vik

I had a thread where I wanted to study in CANADA and go back to U.S. every 3 weeks. Read what other board members had to say !

Well, I've been doing this for the last 2 years. Believe me, it's a hassle. I've always come back to the US before 6 months is up, stayed a month or two, and then gone back. I've used mostly RTDs, but I now have an RP. This is my last semester, so in July, I'll be back to the US for good (or at least until I get citizenship). Now, I've calculated my trips, so when I apply for citizenship, I will never have been out of the US for more than six months at a time. However, I do have back to back trips. I will also have spent a little over thirty months in the US within the 5 year period before applying for citizenship. So, technically, I'm oke. BUT, it's all up to the IO. I'm going to have to prove so hard that I never broke continuous residence, and I just hope they'll buy my story. They may not, though. It all depends, I guess.

Anyway, that's my story for you, but if you're going to be out of the US for eight semesters, then your physical presence will also be jeopardised (and maybe continuous residence). You'll have to wait until you build those two up before you apply for citizenshoip in 8 years or so.

cafeconleche,

Is there any advantage in studying in Canada? Isn't it expensive over there? Do one can get student loan?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not studying in Canada. But, I think it's often much cheaper than it is in the US. And, US federal loans can apply. Fill out the FAFSA.

My recommendation is do not do this. There are plenty of great academic programs in the United States that you can enroll in.

Remember that a green card can be revoked. If you fail to comply with the strict set of guidelines that you have been informed of. Be sure that you meet the minimum domestic residence requirement, failing which you may stand to lose your Green Card. You are strongly advised to wait until you have your US Passport before you make any long term foreign work/study options. There are other ways, but this is the most sound and logical decision. Especially after you have gone through the arduous process of obtaining the coveted US Green Card.

I have my son studying in India when got his GC. He came to US and stayed one month and went back to India to complete his course. Now, we want him in US since he completed his course. Now he is in out side of US one year and 5 days.

After going through the forum for same kind of situations, I'm worried now about his re-entry. Can you guyz please help me what options can help me to bring my son US. My wife and other kid lives in US. He is now 16 years. Your help is really appreciated.