Green Card holder Traveled to Cuba as tourist

cantoron

Suppose that a U.S. resident wishes to obtain naturalization after having had a green card and living in the U.S. for the past 12 years. This U.S. resident is a Canadian citizen who several years ago visited Cuba as a tourist traveling from Canada and was not aware until recently that this travel was illegal for American residents even though legal for Canadians. Would U.S. naturalization be possible given this? Are there consequences to the Green Card holder having traveled to Cuba?
Thanks.

I read through that thread and saw no answer to the question if Naturalization would be denied if a GC holder traveled to Cuba prior to the Naturalization application. The requirement for the Naturalization application is to list all countries visited since obtaining a GC. I know it would be dire to lie on this application and to have that lie discovered, so I want to emphasize that the application for Naturalization would list Cuba as one of the countries visited. My question was whether this application for citizenship through Naturalization would be denied because of this travel, and even worse, the GC holder evicted from the U.S?

Although travel to Cuba by a LPR is not permitted without special permit it does not preclude someone from naturalization.
I traveled to Cuba as a LPR via Toronto, disclosed it on my naturalization application under travel and successfully passed my naturalization interview.
Disclose the Cuba trip by city (ex:Verradero, Carribean) instead of by country to avoid possible unnecessary scrutiny by a unexperienced IO.

Hi -- just wondering what you decided in this case, as I'm in the same boat. It seems like it might cause consternation on their part if I was to say "Havana, Caribbean" for instance. I saw some advice that this all depends on the case officer. I'm hoping this isn't so. Also, there must be a ton of people like us who were honestly naive about the rules...