Green card expiring in less than three months

amitkohli

Hello,

Thanks in advance for your time. I am a citizen spouse (green card received after 6 years of marriage), green card expiring in less than three months. Needed to figure out my best option based on the time crunch - apply for citizenship or renew green card?

Regards,

Amit Kohli

I assume this is a 10-year green card and now it's close to the end of the 10 years? And I also assume that you meant "I am a citizen's spouse" when you wrote "I am a citizen spouse", in other words you're the spouse of a citizen, you're not a citizen yourself.

Even if you apply for citizenship you'll still need to renew the card, because it's less than 6 months before expiration, and they expect you to renew the card unless you applied for citizenship when there was more than 6 months remaining on the green card.

Whether you apply for citizenship is a decision for you to make based on the benefits and consequences to you ... would you lose your original citizenship or any other rights in your original country if you become a US citizen? Are you prepared to serve jury duty at any random time, which is an obligation of citizenship?

Last edited by a moderator: