Green card expiring February 2017 - is it too late to apply for Citizenship now?

Samanta20_2001

I am asking for a friend. She is in the process of submitting her Citizenship application. Most likely it will be mailed on Monday but we are a bit worried because her GC has an expiration date of February 2017 which is less than 6 months from their usual required time frame. Would she be OK if she applies now or does she need to renew her CG first? Any helpful information or advise would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

I don't think interview officer will raise any issues regarding her expiring/expired green card. So would go head and apply for her citizenship. She probably will have her citizenship paper in march or April (mine was under 5 months).

At that point, there is no issue regarding a GC expiring. In fact, if you friend has no plan of traveling outside USA, there is no need to renew the GC.

Technically, they could ask for proof of renewal, especially if the N400 process takes longer than expected, but they could easily approve before, and/or overlook the expiry date of the GC. Your friend could also make an Infopass appointment and get a free extension if the process takes too long.