Green Card Application and Travelling Abroad?

haqr

Travelling Abroad after filinig for a Green Card

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone out there can help me with a strange delimma.

Here is the Scnerio:

My employer had filed for my Green Card some time in 2001.
I was under the impression that I should not travel abroad once the application was filed. Is this correct, can someone correct me if I am worng.
The application was approved in 2004 and I-551 stamped.

Due to some personal ongoing legal matters, I need to clarify my understanding that I could not travel outside the US between 2001 and 2004 as it would have jeoperdized my application for the green card. Was my assumption correct? Is there any such document out there to support my understanding, even if the document is vauge and has some sort of warnings to support my claim.

If there is no such document, can someone please share with me similar experiences that they may have been through or are aware of any specific instances where somenone travleled outside the US after filing for the green card and had to go through hoops to get back in, or his / her application was delayed / refused... because the person travelled outside the US.

I would really appreciate any comments by anyone with any information in this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it Illegal - On H1B visa and travelled for more than 3months to India

Hi,
I am on H1B visa.Currently I am not on project.I travelled to India for 3 months.I did tell my employer regarding my travel earlier.But then he didnot say anything. Now after my return he says that he will find out if he can employ me or not.He thinks that my travel was illegal.He would find out from his lawyers and let me know?
Please let me know if this would pose any problem to my employment?

Thanks in advance
krj

The application was approved in 2004 and I-551 stamped.

If I-551 was stamped, you are clear. Congrats.

I wonder if someone can help me figure out how to apply for a I-551.

See,I wish to enlist in the US Armed Forces and I have talked with a Army recruiter,he said that I need to get a most permanent visa that can be issued at the embasy here in Norway[I'm a Croatian citizen by the way] and when I get to the States he would help me apply for a Green Card I-551 visa.Now,can anyone help with which visa can be issued at the local US embasy and is somewhat permanent...thanks in advance

I like how one topic becomes three separate issues.
As for the traveling outside the US, I know that if your case was 245i and you travelled and came back to US while I-485 pending, you could be denied based on the travel. Other than that I do not see issues travelling while your application pending with a valid AP.
As for 3 month outside the US under H1-b, if you employer supports you and would defend that you were on business trip, that should be OK as long as you got paid for those 3 months. If your employer will let you go , you are in trouble...
As for the army recruiter, as far as I know you need Green Card-Immigrant Visa to join US Army. And embassy does not give immigrant visas left and right. It is a challenge to get it.

Last edited by a moderator: