Green-Card and US Government Jobs

Raju in Philly

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,
Just had a question regarding jobs. I have been a green card holder for 2 months now and just to see what jobs are out there the other night I was surfing the FBI, DOJ, USCIS and other agency websites for jobs. Now I know most of the jobs are reserved for USC but I was wondering could I apply for jobs by sending my resume since I qualify for some of the positions? OR would just sending a resume for a job (position) be considered as CLAIMING TO BE A USC which is a SERIOUS CRIME? I really don’t want to get in trouble just for applying for a job after all IF for some reason they call me for an interview I can tell them I have a GC and NOT USC. So.... why apply? Well there are some positions which require only a GC and also if they don’t find qualified USC for USC jobs then they look at other candidates and hence the question friends. So what do you guys think? As always thanks. I really look forward to your replies. THANK YOU.

Raju
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think most Federal govt jobs are for US citizens and US nationals only. Also up on the USAJobs website there is some document about falling back on GC holders or something. dont remember, it was a long time ago. But regardless I dont think applying for a federal job will qualify as "claiming to be USC". Lying that you are a USC and then accepting a federal job will be. As long as you make it clear in your introduction letter that you are an LPR and want to find out if you qualify for this job, it will keep things very clear.

Hello,krakow007
Thank you so much for your reply friend I really appreciate it. Well before I apply for any US Govt. jobs in my cover letter I am including a line where I clearly state I am a Green-card holder (Legal Permanent Resident of the USA) and NOT a USC but a Citizen of India. Not to mention I will apply for only those jobs which say “PUBLIC” and “PEOPLE WITH STATUS” and not USC. I just wanted to make sure is it even okay for a green-card holder to apply for a US Govt. jobs but after getting views and opinions from you guys I am confident and I think it should be fine. Thanks for your input

Raju
Ps what did you mean by “falling back on GC holders” ? Can you please explain? Thanks. By the way good jobs on USAJOBS.GOV
:)

something that I remember reading a long time back about accepting people with LPR status if no citizen could be found or something. Dont remember sorry, been more than 2 years since I looked at that website. All the best and dont worry as long as you explicitly state your immigration status in your application and in person, you should have nothing to worry about.

Even on H1

you can apply, tons of physicians who work for VA health facilities(Federal Agency)