Got my J1 waiver

streddy

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I got my waiver finally. Here's my story :
I came to US on a j1, from a european country, instead from India.

Since my passport/visa was stamped that I am not subject to HRR, me and my college assumed that I dont need to get a waiver.The unpleasant enlightenment was in when my attorney was filing for H1B : that indeed i do need the waiver and the stamp on my visa does not mean anything.

I didn't waste a day after that. I searched / and still do / the internet (esp. murthy and khanna forums) for all the info i could get on j1 waiver.

1.I took the maximum allowed extension on my J1 (total 3 and half yr) which meant that I had exactly one year to get my waiver.

2.got a new passport from chicago as my passport was due to expire.

3. sent all the forms to india : my parents pursued my case in india and i got all three NO OBJ within 2 months. (BTW Iam from Hyd/Secbad, AP)

3. Meanwhile, I applied for the case no with DOS: got it within 2 weeks. (BTW, you dont need any NO OBJ / or waiver letter from Indian embassy to apply for case no)

4. With the 3 no obj lett and case no, applied for a waiver with indian embassy : took 2 weeks to get the letter from chicago.

5. Within next 10 days I got the waiver from Indian embassy, washington DC.

6. By then, I sent the statement (reasons for not fulfilling HRR) to DOS.

7. DOS received all my documents incl waiver form indian embassy by dec 3 week, as their waiver update indicated.

8. At this time, i was expecting to hear from DOS within 2-3 weeks, as most of my colleagues did. After the 8 week time which DOS anticipates for No Obj waiver, I started enquiring the status of my case every few days on phone/fax/mail. All the info i could get from them was already on their web-site !

9. After three months wait, my college cummunicated with DOS through their liaison to speed things up.

10. Beleive it or not : I even contacted the local senator's office for help.

11. Eventually, I got my waiver today exactly after four months of excruciating wait and i am still five months away from my J1 expiry plus a month of grace time.

Most advised that i sit back and wait. I know things take time and more time for some than others; but I believe do what you can in your capacity for things to happen. It helps. I am not sure whether it helped in my case.

I thank all for the info posted on this forum and elsewhere. Its invaluable.

streddy

Hi guys reddy ...etc

I have applied for J1 waiver in February.Washington embassy has sent to Department of state around 12/13.ie one month back.The site is not updated and it's more than 1 month.How long more will it take to get my visa.I am doing my postdoc fellowship.
Thanks,
Vikram

I have done my basic medical degre from India and is now doing my research fellowship here in Boston.
Thanks,

Great, thats what I am looking for.

- So would one require a waiver to do Fellowship ? How is the scene for waivers for jobs in underserved areas.

- My wife just got matched and we are worried abt J1 and the struggle afterwards. How difficult would you say it is to get waiver jobs ?

Thanks reddy some more questions

Hi Reddy,
I have done my medical degree from India with some research experience there.I have been doing my postdcoc research fellowship,I have not yet done my residency.tHE WASHINGTON EMBASSY HAS SEND THE LETTER TO DOS ON FEB 15.IT'S GETTING 6 WEEKS. I CONTACTED THEM,THEY TOLD ME TO WAIT FOR 3 MONTHS AND IF THE WEBSITE IS NOT UPDATED,THEN CONTACT THEM and send them a duplicate copy(which I recieved from embassy).Do i contact them daily.
Any advise please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Vik

hi

Hi Reddy,
I have done my medical degree from India with some research experience there.I have been doing my postdcoc research fellowship,I have not yet done my residency.tHE WASHINGTON EMBASSY HAS SEND THE LETTER TO DOS ON FEB 15.IT'S GETTING 6 WEEKS. I CONTACTED THEM,THEY TOLD ME TO WAIT FOR 3 MONTHS AND IF THE WEBSITE IS NOT UPDATED,THEN CONTACT THEM and send them a duplicate copy(which I recieved from embassy).Do i contact them daily.
Any advise please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Vik