• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Got my IV, now what?

eavive

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

About a month ago I was interviewed and approved for a VISA (DV).

My IV VISA will expire on January which means I should enter the US before then.

I cannot stay in the USA for more than one month, I have to come back to work in my home country (I’m still under a contract).

I remember I read somewhere that the GC will arrive only after 6 weeks starting from the time of arrival to the US. Is it true? Do I have to wait for it? I got family which can send it to me by mail.

I have also remember that someone suggested not to request an SSN in the forms but to go and get it directly from some office over there.

I’m pretty sure I requested an SSN on the forms. How long it takes until the SSN will arrive on the address I provided? Is it too late to change that?

Can I start running things there without an SSN (Open a bank account, get a driving license, etc.)? or I’m stuck?

Sorry if this questions got answered before. I searched but have not found.

Thank you very much for the help.

You don't have to wait to get the physical GC. When you enter your entry visa will be stamped and allows return travel as an LPR. After your activation trip you should plan on being out of the country no more than 12 months. If you need longer than that you will need to get a re=-entry permit.

I would personally go to the SSA to apply for the SSN. Some people found their card arrived without doing that, others found the process (ticking the box to let them apply for the SSN) didn't work. It is harder to do things without the SSN - so yep - get it.

You don't have to wait to get the physical GC. When you enter your entry visa will be stamped and allows return travel as an LPR. After your activation trip you should plan on being out of the country no more than 12 months. If you need longer than that you will need to get a re=-entry permit.

I would personally go to the SSA to apply for the SSN. Some people found their card arrived without doing that, others found the process (ticking the box to let them apply for the SSN) didn't work. It is harder to do things without the SSN - so yep - get it.

Thanks Britsimon,

Once my visa is stamped the current expiration date is not relevant anymore?
Can i go to the SSA to apply for SSN even though i asked for it on the forms?