• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Got Lottery Visa, have to proceed to US

father-son

Registered Users (C)
A friend of mine appeared for his lottery interview on 9/11/01 and was given a visa & 6 months to enter. He has some questions:

1) What is the process for obtaining the GC (Green Card). Will it be mailed to his US address within 30 days, as someone told him.
2) Where should he land, so that his GC is processed the fastest.
3) Wants to come here for 1 or 2 weeks and go back. He does not immediately want to move to the US, needs time to wind up his affairs. He was told by someone he does not need to stay here in order to get his GC. Also, there was mention of something called a \'white passport\'. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

No Title

(1) Can be as soon as 30 days, can be as long as 1 year, depends where you live
(2) Do not know
(3) Be very careful. IF you friend does not stay in the US enough number of days in a year, his Green Card will be taken away from him. I think it has to be over 6 months every year. I am not sure, please check with other sources.
What I know about “White passport” is it was given to a friend of mine when she got her political asylum here in the US

Thanks, but does he need to stay

Thanks Anita.

Does anyone out there know if my friend has to stay here and wait for his GC to come in the mail. He will be using my mailing address, and once he lands at a US Airport, he wants to stay for 2-3 weeks and go back. He wants me to forward his Green Card overseas to him. He is rready to travel back & fro to US as req to keep the GC. Is that possible?

If not whats the best way for him to proceed, if he wants to buy some time before making the ultimate move.

No Title

Sure you can forward his green card to him. Make sure you advise your friend not to break "a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United" rule in order to qualify for naturalization in the future and not loose his GC.

Anna