Got Job, NORI is under processing

Debalina Ray

Hello,
I am going through a tough situation. I applied NORI on Jan 2015 and received my 2 clearances from State by first week of February. From last three months I have hard time with HR in New Delhi. I am still waiting for their certificate. I applied in San Francisco consulate and they need all three. By the time I started the US-part from first week of March which is also pending.
Now I got the job, asked me to join May 4th, 2015. They will sponsor H-1B not J-1.
In such situation how can I keep my new job? My J-1 is valid till June 2015.
Please give me some suggestions.
Thanks,
Debalina

Hi Debalina,
Sorry to hear that you are in a fix. May be sending a friend or a relative directly to the MHRD in Delhi might help. I am no expert however.

Quick question: did you send the NORI requests to Kolkata? If so, did you send it by post from the U.S. or ask a friend or a relative to deliver them by hand?

I am about to begin my waiver process, and any insights on the Kolkata leg of the process would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Joyita

Jyoita,
From my experience, keep one thing always in mind, it is India. Send your family member with the package. I post all three set to my father. He went to Nabanna and my father-in-law did the passport part. My father posted other set to Delhi, which ultimately done on 1st May, though reached on 27th January. Other two were done in a week just because of reference! This is how things work. Also, in Delhi, send self attested all academic certificates from 10th to Phd/ post doc. They asked such set from my father at Nabanna, nothing was asked from my father-in-law. From Delhi, I got an mail on March 5th asking this things. My friend submitted everything on behalf of me on March 9th. Whenever I call them, one answer always, next week ho jaiga. On 1st May they sent the clearance certificate by post, which I received on May 13. Also, my friend went there and got a scanned copy of the same on May 1 which she sent me and I personally gave that to SF consulate. Now I am still waiting for the final document from US State Dept; which may take a month or so.
Simply, do anything to get it done.

Debalina,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. So basically the Delhi part was slow because the self-attested copies of academic certificates were missing? Also, what academic certificate of post-doc (offer letter)? Finally, did your friend help with the Delhi leg 'in person' after your family initially sent the NORI forms by post?

Also, would you be willing to share the part about 'reference' with me via email? I know it may be too much but if you do, I would be really glad. jay(dot)ess21(at)gmail(dot)com

This whole process is honestly freaking me out!