Good idea to do one day cruise to Bahamas to renew TN?

projectpete19

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I live in florida and am a canadian citizen born in canada. I have renewed my TN twice so far. June 29 is the next time I have to renew, I was planning on mailing the I-129 but I didnt realize it jumped in price so much.

In the past I flew to niagara falls and went to the border there as they have alot of experience with TN's.

If I go to the one day cruise to the bahamas am I risking a chance I might not get the renewal due to their "lack of experience"?

Has anyone renewed their visa at the South florida border? Do I renew it leaving the bahamas (like at an airport) or entering the US?

Also, is it still only $60 per TN and TD if I go to the border or did they raise those prices as well?

It is as much risk of 'lack of experience' whether the POE is Ft Lauderdale or Newark airport.

The reneal would be at US POE.

The only airports with PFIs are canada and ireland.

In regards to the lack of experience that is what I mean, my two options are Ft Lauderdale or flying to buffalo and going to the border where they handle many, many TN applications.

The only difference is that the cruise will save me a couple hundred bucks. That is why I am wondering how experienced they are at the Ft Lauderdale POE

also, i couldnt find on the website if the fee at POE has raised or if it is still $60?

Its still $56 by land/sea, $50 by air. never was $60 to my knowledge. $6 by land/sea $0 by air for TD.

i remember $56 plus some other fee to make it around $60, but thanks for the info, and sorry i know last time they only charged me for the TN visa (i wasnt going to argue) but do i not have to pay for both TD's as well if i go to a poe

One Day Cruise

If you are thinking about about taking the Discovery, when we did that run last year, upon return to Port Everglades, the immigration inspectors were just seated behind a wooden table with no access to computers or anything. They simply looked at my green card and stamped my Canadian passport. I highly doubt they would entertain any TN renewal, especially since the boat docks so late at night.

Scott

Hello,

I live in florida and am a canadian citizen born in canada. I have renewed my TN twice so far. June 29 is the next time I have to renew, I was planning on mailing the I-129 but I didnt realize it jumped in price so much.

In the past I flew to niagara falls and went to the border there as they have alot of experience with TN's.

If I go to the one day cruise to the bahamas am I risking a chance I might not get the renewal due to their "lack of experience"?

Has anyone renewed their visa at the South florida border? Do I renew it leaving the bahamas (like at an airport) or entering the US?

Also, is it still only $60 per TN and TD if I go to the border or did they raise those prices as well?

how long did it take you to receive your I-94 from the day you mailed your application?

Last edited by a moderator:
My Experience With Getting a TN Visa on a One-Day Cruise to the Bahamas

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experience on here to help anyone out that wants to explore this option. Last month I traveled from Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades) to Freeport Bahamas on a one day cruise through Balearia Bahamas Express (www.ferryexpress.com). I am a Canadian citizen who was studying engineering in Florida and recently received a job offer from an Engineering company in the US. Rather than flying to Canada and applying for my TN status upon re-entry into the US, I wanted to take a short trip to the Bahamas instead (cheaper and more relaxing). I called Customs at Port Everglades and they confirmed that they can issue me a TN Visa and that someone would be there that could assist me at the exact time of my arrival (I suggest you do the same if you plan on trying this). So I went to the Bahamas and upon my re-entry to the United States I presented a Customs Officer with all necessary documents for a TN Visa (passport, official offer from US Employer, degree, resume, and $50 USD filing fee) and after about 20 minutes of standard visa/immigration/employment questioning I received the I-94 TN stamp in my passport.
Note: You can only pay for the filing fee through either check or money order (USD). Cash or card is not accepted. I was not aware of this but I was lucky enough to have a Customs Officer who agreed to accept my cash and send me and invoice to my address.

Also worth mentioning, I had my TN visa issued two months before my official start date by having my employer write a letter expressing their desire to know ahead of time as to my legal presence and work authorization for this position. It worked like a charm. I also requested that my I-94 expiration be stamped later than my official job ending date for relocating purposes and I was granted an extra week.
I hope this write-up helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I just saw your post about obtaining a new TN status at the cruise port of entry. I am in a similar situation now. I am a Canadian and located in Texas. I just wanted to ask you a few questions about the process. Even though it has been a few years since your post, but maybe you wouldn't mind to chat about it. I would really appreciate that! Send me a text to 346-543-2522, thanks! Iryna