Go Back Home After Got Green Card???

sidman

Registered Users (C)
I Recevied My Real Green Card (the Plastic) Based On Asyulm Case On 05/14/2005, Can I Go Back Home After All That And Come Back With Out No Problems From Usa Immigration ?

sidman said:
I Recevied My Real Green Card (the Plastic) Based On Asyulm Case On 05/14/2005, Can I Go Back Home After All That And Come Back With Out No Problems From Usa Immigration ?

Legally you can't. But most likely u'll be able to go there and come back without any problems. I personally wouldn't risk like that.

This is a very sensitive question. I have seen people who got their
green cards after asylum and they went to their home country and came
back using national passport. Now some of them are US citizens. The
question is how long can you not go back to your country? Conditions
change such as government and things of that nature. Being adjusted as
an asylee does not mean that you can never go back home. Some of us have
been here for decades and have recently got adjusted and some of us
don't really fear going back home now. But why would you want to leave
USA after being here for so long? You have ties here now and you have
become a resident of this country after being here for so long. I don't
know if anywhere it is written that you cannot visit home once you get
adjusted. Is there any official written text on this?

My parents were shot at our own home in the middle of the day over 10
years ago, father did not make it and mother survived. We had been visiting the states on and off and ha dthe opportunity to come here and apply for asylum. Now Government has changed and things are slightly different in the country now. I personally don't give a damn about that country but still have some ties such a properties and bank accounts and relatives. I don't fear going back but that does not mean that I should give up everything that I have done here, such as education, job, properties and community ties. So no one in this form should try to be smart and tell me to go home since my life
is no longer endangered. I have earned the right to become a permanent
resident of this country and eventually a citizen.

Again we need hard facts on limitations of permanent residents through
asylum and see if there are any restrictions on them renewing their
national passport and going back home (after acquiring permanent
residency) Again why should you be eligible to visit home country after
becoming a citizen? They can still revoke your citizenship on the basis
of fraud or just say that you should go back since you have no fears.

I don't know the answers and personally I don't think it's a good idea
to go back until you become a USC, at least that what my lawyer says.

i strongly suggest we should put this kind of topic on the top. it seems to me that ppl never stop talking about it.....ppl argue....but NEVER have the answer

Well answers to some topics are inherently blurry. Even lawyers differ on answers to those topics. So nothing wrong in expressing an opinion or observation, especially if observation comes from a real world experience of a person traveling abroad.

go back home

copper1 said:

years ago, father did not make it and mother survived. We had been visiting the states on and off and ha dthe opportunity to come here and apply for asylum. Now Government has changed and things are slightly different in the country now. I personally don't give a damn about that country but still have some ties such a properties and bank accounts and relatives. I don't fear going back but that does not mean that I should give up everything that I have done here, such as education, job, properties and community ties. So no one in this form should try to be smart and tell me to go home since my life

thanks everyone for the good reply :) :) :) :) ,since i received my card ,there is nothing showing about my status being LPR

sidman said:
thanks everyone for the good reply :) :) :) :) ,since i received my card ,there is nothing showing about my status being LPR
Yes there is a code "AS6" in your GC showing that you got adjusted thru asylum ....What makes you think is safe to go back???...( Normaly an asylee would be much more worried about going home than comming back...)

go back home

samoel said:
Yes there is a code "AS6" in your GC showing that you got adjusted thru asylum ....What makes you think is safe to go back???...( Normaly an asylee would be much more worried about going home than comming back...)
hi samoel...thanks for the reply.....iam just only asking...iam not going back home anyway...i was watting for this moment to became LPR SINCE 1987.

sidman said:
hi samoel...thanks for the reply.....iam just only asking...iam not going back home anyway...i was watting for this moment to became LPR SINCE 1987.

What do you guys think about a Chinese asylee going back to Hong Kong or Macau?

After you get the citizenship, you are a US citizen which means US will protect you if you have some trouble in foreign countries, even your home country. I think that might be the reason why you could go back to home country without worry.

Just my 2 cents.

copper1 said:

guys,

Don't forget that INS is tracking each of your visits outside the country even after you get your GC. One fine morning they can take a decision to further investigate these cases and hold the forefit the processing of these cases. In absence of hard evidence , you might find it hard to prove the facts. So, keep your fingers crossed thatthings keep going smoothly like the way it is now.
For those who think change in situation back home now , can be an excuse for going back home , guess what ... INS can give the same reason for cancelling your status and sending you back home . just my 2 cents

Asylee13 said:
guys,

Don't forget that INS is tracking each of your visits outside the country even after you get your GC. One fine morning they can take a decision to further investigate these cases and hold the forefit the processing of these cases. In absence of hard evidence , you might find it hard to prove the facts. So, keep your fingers crossed thatthings keep going smoothly like the way it is now.
For those who think change in situation back home now , can be an excuse for going back home , guess what ... INS can give the same reason for cancelling your status and sending you back home . just my 2 cents

With all due respect to Justice system INS do not and can not track each individual travel history. They only go by what that particular individual will show them (copies of visas...). They do not have a resources to investigate each of us.

unitednations said:
I'm not an asylee but the government tracking system is rapidly getting better.

I'm a canadian citizen and drive across and also fly. I recently had to go see an ICE officer because I didn't register for NSEERS (i wasn't required to). I kept getting RFE's to show registration. I decided to take care of it once and for all.

Well, when I went to ICE he had some screen printouts. It showed every entry I had made, and the port of entry since 2003. There was no information prior to that.

Once you get an alien #, every crossing you make gets attached to that alien #. It is important to note that when I cross I do not get a new I-94 card. All they do is swipe my canadian passport.

Also, whenever people are flying into USA, the airlines transmit the names of passengers and their travel itinerary to POE. They match up the names with criminal history and terrorist watch lists. there has been a number of people who have been denied entry or put in deportation proceedings (including greencard holders).

I wouldn't go by the standard that the POE, CBP, ICE or USCIS don't know. they actually do.

I agree they do have that kind of info but we were talking about USCIS tracking asylees worldwide. Yes, after september 11 there were lots of changes done to the system.

Hello! everyone,

My father Petition for me and for my mom, he took asylum 5 years back,
me and my mom entered in US on may- 2006, i got my green card 6 month ago its 2008 now,
my Girl friend is in my home country, i want to marry her is it save to go back to my home country and get married and petition for her in US Please help me Out!!

Thanks,

hi there

Can a refuge or asylee travel back to native country?
"(2) Alien Has A Travel Document From His/her Country. Similarly, if the applicant is in possession of a valid travel document from the country of nationality, the Form I-131 may also be deniable. There is no absolute prohibition against issuing a travel document to permit a refugee to travel to the country of last residence or nationality; however, travel to that country may preclude the alien from establishing eligibility for permanent residence under section 209 of the Act.

(3) Alien Intends to Visit Home Country. There is no prohibition against issuing a travel document to permit a refugee to travel to the country of last residence or nationality; however, travel to that country may raise doubts about whether the alien has re-availed (or intends to re-avail) him or herself of the protection of the country of persecution. It may also preclude the alien from establishing eligibility for permanent residence under section 209. Each case must be judged on its own merits. For example, visiting an old or sick parent should be considered a more worthy reason for visiting one's home country than regular visits on holidays or business trips. The applicant should therefore be referred to the local USCIS office for interview and the possible taking of a sworn statement.

Why an asylee have to wait for one year before applying for permanent resident?

32 ADVISING YOUR CLIENT AFTER ASYLUM IS GRANTED – ASYLEE STATUS
When asylum is granted, it means that the asylee will have the opportunity to live and work legally in the United States and will eventually have the opportunity to apply for lawful permanent residence and citizenship. However, the Department of Homeland Security can, at least theoretically, reopen the case and attempt to terminate asylum and seek the removal of the asylee if it is determined that any one of a number of conditions are met: that country conditions have fundamentally changed such that the asylee no longer fears persecution; that the asylee committed a serious crime, either persecutory in nature or non-political outside of the United States; that the asylee poses a threat to the security of the United States; that the asylee was firmly resettled outside the United States prior to her arrival; that the asylee may be removed pursuant to a bi-lateral agreement to a safe third country that will provide protections; that the asylee has voluntarily returned to her home country; or, that the asylee has acquired a new nationality.
Practically speaking, attempts to revoke asylum are rare without new evidence that the asylee has committed a serious crime in the United States or fraudulently obtained asylum. It is important to note, however, that asylum is not a permanent, guaranteed status for life in the United States. For that reason, it is essential to encourage all asylees to apply for lawful permanent residence one year from the date on which they were

Is the permanent resident for former asylees conditional?
§ 1216.1 Definition of conditional permanent resident.
A conditional permanent resident is an alien who has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence within the meaning of section 101(a)(20)
Of the Act, except that a conditional permanent resident is also subject to the conditions and responsibilities set forth in section 216 or 216A of the Act, whichever is applicable and part 216 of this chapter. Unless otherwise specified, the rights, privileges, responsibilities and duties which apply to all other lawful permanent residents apply equally to conditional permanent residents, including but not limited to the right to apply for naturalization (if otherwise eligible), the right to file petitions on behalf of qualifying relatives, the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws, such status not having changed; the duty to register with the Selective Service System, when required; and the responsibility for complying with all laws and regulations of the United States. All references within this chapter to lawful permanent residents apply equally to conditional permanent residents, unless otherwise specified. The conditions of section 216 of the Act shall not apply to lawful permanent resident status based on a self-petitioning relationship under section 204(a)(1)(A)(iii), 204(a)(1)(A)(iv), 204(a)(1)(b)(ii), or 204(a)(1)(B)(iii) of the Act or based on eligibility as the derivative child of a self-petitioning spouse under section 204(a)(1)(A)(iii) or 204(a)(1)(B)(ii) of the Act, regardless of the date on which the marriage to the abusive citizen or lawful permanent resident occurred.
§ 216.3 Termination of conditional resident status.
(a) During the two-year conditional period. The director shall send a formal
Written notice to the conditional permanent resident of the termination of
The alien’s conditional permanent resident status if the director determines
That any of the conditions set forth in section 216(b) (1) or 216A (b) (1) of the Act

What the rights of lawful permanent resident?
As more and more individuals in the United States apply to become lawful permanent residents, or green card holders, it is vital that each person know the rights and responsibilities that come with obtaining LPR status.

The benefits to becoming an LPR include:
• You may live anywhere in the United States, and you may stay there as long as you want.
• You may work at any job, for any company, anywhere in the U.S., or you may choose to not work at all.
• An LPR may travel freely inside and out of the United States whenever you wish.
• You may apply to become a U.S. citizen after you have held your green card for a certain length of time.
• In many cases, your spouse and children under the age of 21 may also be eligible to obtain green cards as accompanying relatives.
Although you may have a green card, you should be very careful about certain things. The first and foremost is international travel. Even though you may travel freely, extended periods of time spent outside the U.S. may indicate to Immigration Services that you have abandoned your green card.

If you plan on spending over six months outside the U.S. at any given time, it is advisable for you to apply for a re-entry permit. This is issued to permanent residents or conditional permanent residents who wish to remain outside the U. S. for a prolonged period of time, but for less than two years. A re-entry permit usually enables a permanent resident, who traveled abroad for a period of time of more than one year but less than two years, to avoid the risk of not being allowed to come back the U.S. on the ground that the alien abandoned his permanent residence status. A re-entry permit can also serve as a passport for a permanent resident who wants to travel outside the United States, but cannot get a passport from his country of nationality.

From a Lawyer

There are restrictions on travel back home for asylees, even then, if you apply for advance parole, it's possible to get permission. But for green card holders and American citizens, they are free to travel wherever they wish because when you apply for lawful permanent resident you adjust to diffrant status so you becomes former asylee you are no longer an asylee and when you get the lawful permanent resident it was given without restrictions on traveling Even if you got your green card through the asylum program, you're still a green card holder and there are no restrictions. The reality is that former asylees do this all the time, like it or not.
Now, if you do go home, keep in mind you're not a US citizen. If you get into trouble, you're on your own and the US embassy won't, and can't, help you. You're still a citizen of your home country and subject to all its laws. If you're arrested, for any reason, your country has no obligation whatever to inform the US embassy, and no obligation to allow an embassy official to visit you. But green card status, is green card status, and everyone is treated alike.

From a Lawyer

There are restrictions on travel back home for asylees, even then, if you apply for advance parole, it's possible to get permission. But for green card holders and American citizens, they are free to travel wherever they wish because when you apply for lawful permanent resident you adjust to diffrant status so you becomes former asylee you are no longer an asylee and when you get the lawful permanent resident it was given without restrictions on traveling Even if you got your green card through the asylum program, you're still a green card holder and there are no restrictions. The reality is that former asylees do this all the time, like it or not.
Now, if you do go home, keep in mind you're not a US citizen. If you get into trouble, you're on your own and the US embassy won't, and can't, help you. You're still a citizen of your home country and subject to all its laws. If you're arrested, for any reason, your country has no obligation whatever to inform the US embassy, and no obligation to allow an embassy official to visit you. But green card status, is green card status, and everyone is treated alike.

This is exactly how this law should be implemented but unfortunately it doesn’t. Every single Immigration officer has his own theory on this and they interview applicants as they please. We have witnessed this over and over at a Port of Entry and or during U.S Citizenship Interviews. Some people get away with a normal standard procedure while some get scrutinized by the officers. It all depends on your luck, mood of the officer on that particular day, how knowledgeable the officer is about G.C through Asylum etc.

Personally, I am at that stage where I don’t believe anything people say on this topic and decided to go with the flow. If I meant to become a U.S Citizen, I know I will. Losing sleep over this won’t help me a bit. But it is good to be well informed and be ready for any circumstances. My 2 cents.

some people went to cop and some people did't and both of them got the were able to come back to usa .........

i think the luck plays an immportant role

i have no experiance at all...

Why cant you guys open a new thread instead of using an old thread

Last edited by a moderator:
H i there

Let's open a new threat I really do't know how and I think this matter is really important and more people can talk about it

The issue has been discussed so many times and it is a easy for some people to understand while others don't understand. It boils down to the citizenship interviewer that might question you why did you travel to COP while few have not asked the question during the interview but you can travel to COP with no problem and you will have no problem at POE.. We can open a Thread though but what do you want the topic to be?