Getting ready to apply for US Citizenship

Wrangler

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

I am getting ready to apply for US Citizenship.
  • I received my employment based Green Card in 2005
  • Eventhough I was eligible to apply for US Citizenship in 2009/2010, I have not applied
  • My Green Card will expire in May 2015
  • Soon I am also planning to get married and my spouse is a US Citizen
Kindly let me know:

1. How long will it take to get my US Citizenship
2. Do I have to renew my Green Card (I can send my renew application 6 months before expirataion date)
3. Can I legally stay in the US even after the Green Card expires (without renewing), based on filing my Citizenship application
4. Is it better to get married and then apply for Citizenship or it doesn't matter? My spouse being a US Citizen, will have any impact (good or bad) on my US Citizenship application or any other related/associated process

Thanks in Advance!

-Wrangler

2. If you apply for naturalization more than 6 months before your green card expires, you do not have to apply to renew it. If you apply for naturaliztion less than 6 months before it expires or it's already expired, you're supposed to need to renew it.
3. You can legally stay in the U.S. after the card expires in any case (albeit inconveniently). Your (non-conditional) permanent resident status does not expire. If you have applied to renew your green card, or if you've applied for naturalization, you should be able to go into the USCIS office and get an I-551 stamp on your passport that's equivalent to a green card if you need proof for work/travel.
4. It doesn't matter. If you had gotten married to a citizen before or soon after becoming a permanent resident, then you would qualify for naturalization sooner with the 3 year rule than you would with the 5 year rule. But at this point, it makes no difference.

Thank you Miss_chang. I would like to clarify the following:

1. For some reason if my Citizenship application has been denied and at that time if my Green Card (GC) has expired, will there be any issues in renewing my GC?
2. I have obtained my GC in April 2005. From 2006 until 2012 I owned and operated a consulting firm. The company didn't generate much revenue in 2010 and NO revenue for 2011 and 2012. However, I have properly filed the company tax returns (under loss) and also my personal returns. As a result, my W-2 statements will have very low amount for 2010 and $0 for 2011. Beginning Nov 2012, I took a job and have W-2 for 2 months in 2012 and for the whole year in 2013 and will get for 201 as well. At the time of interview will this W-2 situation, cause any issues?
3. This week, my Home Owners Association (HOA) has filed a case in Superior Court (at my county) for non-payment of a fee (around $2000) dispute. I am yet to file my response. Will this case with or without a "Judgement" have any impact to my Citizenship application?
4. In the next few days, I will be filing my N-400 application. Since no decision (Judgement) has been arrived for the above mentioned case, do I have to mention about this acse in the application?
5. Last year, I have received a citation (ticket) for traffic violation (speeding: 50 mph or a 35 mph zone) and paid the fine. have the copy of citation and paid receipt. Also 3 or 4 years back received a similar ticket for speeding. paid the fine, but not sure if I have the copies. Do I have to mention this in the N-400 application?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sekar

Thank you Miss_chang. I would like to clarify the following:

1. For some reason if my Citizenship application has been denied and at that time if my Green Card (GC) has expired, will there be any issues in renewing my GC?
2. I have obtained my GC in April 2005. From 2006 until 2012 I owned and operated a consulting firm. The company didn't generate much revenue in 2010 and NO revenue for 2011 and 2012. However, I have properly filed the company tax returns (under loss) and also my personal returns. As a result, my W-2 statements will have very low amount for 2010 and $0 for 2011. Beginning Nov 2012, I took a job and have W-2 for 2 months in 2012 and for the whole year in 2013 and will get for 201 as well. At the time of interview will this W-2 situation, cause any issues?
3. This week, my Home Owners Association (HOA) has filed a case in Superior Court (at my county) for non-payment of a fee (around $2000) dispute. I am yet to file my response. Will this case with or without a "Judgement" have any impact to my Citizenship application?
4. In the next few days, I will be filing my N-400 application. Since no decision (Judgement) has been arrived for the above mentioned case, do I have to mention about this acse in the application?
5. Last year, I have received a citation (ticket) for traffic violation (speeding: 50 mph or a 35 mph zone) and paid the fine. have the copy of citation and paid receipt. Also 3 or 4 years back received a similar ticket for speeding. paid the fine, but not sure if I have the copies. Do I have to mention this in the N-400 application?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Sekar
How long did you work for your employer before you started that consulting firm ? did you get your citizenship ?