• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Getting married after getting the DV visa but before entering the US.

getOut

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
It is incredible the wealth of information available on this forum. Thanks for everyone making this possible.

I have a question regarding a special case: Will there be any complication for someone who obtained the DV visa, didn’t make it to the US yet and meanwhile got married. Will the person have problems at the POE?:confused:

Thanks for your help,

Hi,
It is incredible the wealth of information available on this forum. Thanks for everyone making this possible.

I have a question regarding a special case: Will there be any complication for someone who obtained the DV visa, didn’t make it to the US yet and meanwhile got married. Will the person have problems at the POE?:confused:

Thanks for your help,

I don't see you having any problem as long as u made it before the six months expiration. Also bear in mind that ur spouse won't be coming to the states with you and will have to wait yrs to get a greencard after u petition for her. sometimes, people wait to petition for their spouses when they become citizen

Thanks johnkent for your input.

I should have mentioned that the person is a she.
Does she has to tell the immigration officer at the POE that she is married although she got her visa as a single?

About the spouse he is a green card holder.

Thanks again for the help.

I don't see you having any problem as long as u made it before the six months expiration. Also bear in mind that ur spouse won't be coming to the states with you and will have to wait yrs to get a greencard after u petition for her. sometimes, people wait to petition for their spouses when they become citizen

Thanks johnkent for your input.

I should have mentioned that the person is a she.
Does she has to tell the immigration officer at the POE that she is married although she got her visa as a single?

About the spouse he is a green card holder.

Thanks again for the help.

I don't get what ur asking. it sounds as thou both of you are Greencard holders or maybe she has a visitors visa or something?Pls explain.

I don't get what ur asking. it sounds as thou both of you are Greencard holders or maybe she has a visitors visa or something?Pls explain.

Hi Johnkent,

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the confusion.

Let me rephrase my question: Since she got her own DV visa as a single and got married later, does she has to go back to the consulate and ask for the visa to be re-issued to reflect her new marital status? I am wondering about the reaction of the immigration officer at the POE noticing that my friend's marital status changed between the time she got the visa and the time she is entering the US. Maybe I am just worrying too much.:rolleyes:

Thank you again and hope I’m not adding more confusing.

She is married to a GC holder. She got married to him after she got her DV immigrant visa. She will not have any problems at POE and she doesn't have to tell the officer anything unless the officer asks her. She doesn't have to go back to the consulate for anything.