Getting free medical insurance after becoming permanent resident?

I agree with Johnny Cash. My friends live in NY and they received their family based green card two years ago and they all have successfully applied for and received medicaid insurance.

I know with Healthy Families And Medical in Ca.

Anyone in need of Womens or Childrens Health care can receive it and Immigration status is not even asked or brought up, this is part of why there is such a huge immigration debate in CA, Those in against it argue thatall the Free medical care for Illegal immigrants is costing the state billions and putting a severe strain on medical faciities in the state to be able to offer proper health care to the communities they serve. There just is not enough subsidised support to help with all the non-insured medical patients, most of whom just go into the clinic for minor things like common colds ect..

One thing CA has is great programs for Pregnanat women pre-post natal care through medical regardless of Immigration status.

gc4parents said:
About medicaid, my ex-husband parents are over 65 and they couldn't find any private insurance to buy medical and they were told they can't get MEDICAID, neither before they got their GC or after. And you said people can get Medicaid even before they get GC.

First of all, I DO NOT BELIEVE even for a second that the parents of your ex-H couldn't find ANY Medical Insurance for themselves unless they had very compromising pre-existing medical problem. Medical insurance companies are out there to do business and make money. So, it is impossible for anyone to understand that they could not find a medical Insurance for themselves. However, it's an another fact that they might have decided not to have a medical insurance because of costly premium for their insurance, which would be the case because of their age (or probably some pre-existing condition too).

Why they were not eligible for Medicaid, then I dunno. Maybe, their household income (not only their income) was/is above the income requirment? Or they live in a state where they are required to wait 5 yrs after becoming LPR before applying for Medicaid (like in IL)? Or they might have other ineligibility for Medicaid as per their state rules on Medicaid? I cannot comment on each person's case specifically. Each case is different.

I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand what I wrote earlier. Because if you had comprehended what I wrote, you had not made the same comments over and over. I did not comment specifically on your ex-h's parents' case.

Let me repeat myself again-

[1] Medicaid is approved to those who have either no income or low income. Age of an applicant has NOTHING to do with it; rather the income is the PRIME (first and foremost) criteria. And if an applicant lives with family member(s), then state govt. would need to know Gross Household Income in order to determine applicant's eligibility for Medicaid.

[2] Each state has its own eligibility rules for Medicaid. Some states require an applicant to be legal (like NY), while others don't (like NJ). That being said, a person can easily get Medicaid even if s/he is NOT legal in this country, which is of course depend upon which state s/he lives in. Again, a person doesn't need to be legal to be eligible for a Medicaid if his/her state rules allow him/her to have Medicaid. But I must say that govt. has changed the law from this month. As per NEW law on Medicaid, each state must need to verify the immigration status of an applicant. Plus, LPRs who have been parmanent resident for at least 5 yrs are considered eligible for Medicaid.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/smdl/downloads/SMD06012.pdf

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5519069

http://www.kff.org/medicaid/7533.cfm

There is not many options available to elderly people when it comes to have a medical insurance. Premium will understandbly be very high because of their age (and because of any pre-existing medical condition as well). That's why it is very important that people should search a cheap and good medical insurance company for them online. There are MANY insurance companies which do issue medical insurance policy to elderly people in low premium, but people would need to do a high level search for that. For prescibed medicine, they could get some discount, depending upon Pharmacy or state laws on that.

For Medicare, they have to be of a certain age or should have earned at least required quaters of earned credit.

For Medicaid, they need to be eligible for it as per the rules set up by the state where they live in. Medicaid is partially funded by Federal govt. but it is wholly regulated by state govt. That's why each person needs to check their own State rules on this to find out if s/he is eligible for it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough Immigration Bill Passes

Colorado Passes Tough Immigration Bill
Measure Would Require 1 Million People To Verify Citizenship

CO: State lawmakers approved a measure that would force a million people receiving state or federal aid to verify their citizenship, :eek:

part of a package of bills dealing with illegal immigration that Democrats called the toughest in the United States.

The measure would deny most non-emergency state benefits to illegal immigrants 18 years old and older — forcing people to prove legal residency when applying for benefits or renewing their eligibility.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/11/national/main1790263.shtml

JohnnyCash said:
First of all, I DO NOT BELIEVE even for a second that the parents of your ex-H couldn't find ANY Medical Insurance for themselves unless they had very compromising pre-existing medical problem. Medical insurance companies are out there to do business and make money. So, it is impossible for anyone to understand that they could not find a medical Insurance for themselves. However, it's an another fact that they might have decided not to have a medical insurance because of costly premium for their insurance, which would be the case because of their age (or probably some pre-existing condition too).

Why they were not eligible for Medicaid, then I dunno. Maybe, their household income (not only their income) was/is above the income requirment? Or they live in a state where they are required to wait 5 yrs after becoming LPR before applying for Medicaid (like in IL)? Or they might have other ineligibility for Medicaid as per their state rules on Medicaid? I cannot comment on each person's case specifically. Each case is different.

I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand what I wrote earlier. Because if you had comprehended what I wrote, you had not made the same comments over and over. I did not comment specifically on your ex-h's parents' case.

Let me repeat myself again-

[1] Medicaid is approved to those who have either no income or low income. Age of an applicant has NOTHING to do with it; rather the income is the PRIME (first and foremost) criteria. And if an applicant lives with family member(s), then state govt. would need to know Gross Household Income in order to determine applicant's eligibility for Medicaid.

[2] Each state has its own eligibility rules for Medicaid. Some states require an applicant to be legal (like NY), while others don't (like NJ). That being said, a person can easily get Medicaid even if s/he is NOT legal in this country, which is of course depend upon which state s/he lives in. Again, a person doesn't need to be legal to be eligible for a Medicaid if his/her state rules allow him/her to have Medicaid. But I must say that govt. has changed the law from this month. As per NEW law on Medicaid, each state must need to verify the immigration status of an applicant. Plus, LPRs who have been parmanent resident for at least 5 yrs are considered eligible for Medicaid.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/smdl/downloads/SMD06012.pdf

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5519069

http://www.kff.org/medicaid/7533.cfm

There is not many options available to elderly people when it comes to have a medical insurance. Premium will understandbly be very high because of their age (and because of any pre-existing medical condition as well). That's why it is very important that people should search a cheap and good medical insurance company for them online. There are MANY insurance companies which do issue medical insurance policy to elderly people in low premium, but people would need to do a high level search for that. For prescibed medicine, they could get some discount, depending upon Pharmacy or state laws on that.

For Medicare, they have to be of a certain age or should have earned at least required quaters of earned credit.

For Medicaid, they need to be eligible for it as per the rules set up by the state where they live in. Medicaid is partially funded by Federal govt. but it is wholly regulated by state govt. That's why each person needs to check their own State rules on this to find out if s/he is eligible for it or not.

I really don't know the specifics related to my ex-in-laws.
Their son (my ex) did all the research at that time and I remember him saying that: 1. He couldn't get medicaid for them . 2. The private companies who accepted to insure his parents (most of them didn't offer insurance for over 65) asked for, I don't remember the exact amount, something like over $2,000/month for each.
We couldn't, under no circumstance, afford $4,000+/month.

Now I'm sponsoring my parents, by myself and I'm terrified thinking that I have to go through same problems.

To send them to work, for the next 10 years to accumulate the 40 units with SSA, considering their age is not possible.

I wish I can give them my own units and I start from zero again. (Of course is not possible, is just a wishful thinking)

Last edited by a moderator:
The best and cheapest I ever found is: http://www.imglobal.com/

The best and cheapest I ever found is:

http://www.imglobal.com/

There are two Global Medical and Global Basic

You can use it any country that is the beauty of this insurance , SELECT for GLOBAL coverage.
There is option to include maternity rider
Also there is a condition that the persons should not be residing in US contineously for last 5 yrs. What I think is that, if one visit home country on vacation and breaks this 5 yrs.
US citizens can buy it only if resides out of US for 6 /12 months.

Please read carefully , before making decision to buy, talk to customer representative.

Please take your own decision before you buy, I am just suggesting it.
I bought for my family

good luck
abhuda
--------------------------

Also, there are so many chat forums wherein people talk about how to get cheap and best medical insurance for them and for their elderly parents. A must read.

hey johnny cash,
if it's not too much bother, do you know the websites of these chat forums? or atleast how to get there?
thanks.

nice try. :) I'm paying close to $900 every month for COBRA. Let me know if you find anything for free :)

That's why we got Blue Cross Blue Shield Short Term insurance for $59/month per person, $1,000 deductible. Doesn't include maternity.

Didn't need to use it, got benefits after 3 months.

I dont understand the whole concept of my employer doenst give me insurance. Any regional or national company offers health insurance as part of their benefits. If you goto work at CVS and Wallgreens they offer insurance.

So low skilled people with no skills cant' get insurance doesnt seem correct to me. If you got your GC as a skilled worker then obvious you have some skills and just find a job that does offer health insurance.

If you have no skills what so ever, try to learn some skills because in the long term it'll be best and for now try to get a job in a retail chain that will offer health benefits.