getting F1 visa while married to an American citizen

warmotan

Registered Users (C)
Dear fellow seekers of a better life,

Does anyone have experience with applying for an F1 visa while being married to an American citizen?
I am currently on a J1 trainee visa, before that I was on F1 and now I want to apply for an F1 to get my Masters.
Since having an American spouse can be viewed as an immigrant intent, what are your thoughts as far as additional paperwork to present to increase the odds of receiving a visa.
Thanks

Do you have a 2 year HRR from your J1?

Why have you not applied for a green card if you are married to a US citizen and plan to live in the US? That means that you don't have to worry about an F-1 which you are unlikely to receive due to your relationship with US citizen.

Does anyone have first hand experience with a similar situation? If you had parents or other relatives (us citizens/perm residents) filing for immigration on your behalf, or if you were married to a US citizen/perm. resident and still managed to get a new student stauts, by whether leaving the country or domestically, please share your esperience.

Check in the family based green card on how to apply for I-485 and adjustment of status based on your marriage to a USC. You could get a green card in 6 months time and don't need a visa for anything after that.

Getting F1 Visa while married t0 a US citizen

I think there is a misperception that one does not stand a chance of a F1 while married to a USC. I applied for F1 visa last week. declared that both my spouse and brother were US citizens.

Visa was granted without a question being asked!!! I am flying out next week now!:)

I'm sure there is misconception on this issue. I thought that non-immigrant visa apps were not possible when married to a USC (with the exception of some specific non-immigrant visa categories). It might be different if you don't live with your spouse in the US.

My next question would be, if you are married to a USC, why not file to adjust status? It could save you a whole lot of trouble down the road.

I am sure that there is no connection between your F1 visa and the status of spouse. I know of three more such cases, who have had their visas approved!

We have not filed an AOS because we are not sure whether we want to remain in US. My wife is a dual citizen. She is a citizen of UK while I am also a PR of Australia. So there!

Great to know that you got it. Did they ask you snything regarding your spouse? why u got married? are you planing on staying in the US? any details will be helpful.