Getting a new TN

Shion Uzuki

Hi all,

I'm currently on my 3rd TN. I had my first one for around 5 months before getting laid off (late-2010). After several months, I got my 2nd TN, which I've been on for 3 years. Just half a year ago, I had to renew it at a POE, so that was my 3rd.

I'm currently planning to switch jobs, got an offer from a new company, but am worried that I'll be denied at a POE because this will make it the 4th time (all together its been around 4 years on this status).

Has anyone here got experiences like mine? Just want to see if there are similar cases. Should I be considering the I-129 route if the employer is willing to pay for the extra fees?

Not a problem. Just make sure that you do not quit your current TN job until after you return from border with new TN. That means you keep your current TN even when you are succesful at the border. You are allowed to have 2 or more TNs at same time.

I would just go to the border.

Thanks nelsona! That is exactly what I have in mind. The timing is gonna be very tricky, but I guess that's what it'll takes.

Thanks again!

As far as I know, there is no way of doing so. The only alternative is to file an I-129, but I believe that is only for "change of employer".

Tanks, Of course you can. You can file an I-129 for TN (and I-539 for TD for family). You can add an new employer too.

Besides, the family doesn't need new TDs if they are still valid.