Getting a license on an H4 visa

dl in co

Hi, I stay in Denver,CO and I am on H4. I went today to DMV here and they said that I have to have either SSN or ITIN and if I donot have any of it, I need to get a letter from SSN stating that I cannot get SSN. Ofcourse they asked for my Passport & I-94.

Apart from that, they also asked me proof of my wife's employment in US with her Petition and deputation letter stating her address in US.

Hi Kelgen,

did ur wife got DL in denver,
wht documents we need to get DL in denver?

Getting Driving license in New York for H4 - Easy and effective way:
Since H4 visa holders are not eligible for SSN, one need to show 6 point proof in NY DMV to initiate for getting driver's license.

My wife is on H4 and here is what I did:
Pre-Preparation:
I called my credit card company (CapitalOne) and asked to provide me with add-on card on my Wife's name - They did that - It adds up to one point.
I called my electricity provider (PSEG Long island) and asked to add my wife's name in that bill (though her name is not mentioned in the lease agreement). Since my Surname is big, my wife's full name can't accommodate in the space. I asked to have the name like this "A & SpouseFirstname Surname" where A is me followed by my wife's complete name. Waited for the bill to generate so that it added upto 1 more point.
My wife as a dependent had Health insurance card from Cigna, with her complete name on it, which added up one more point.

What next?
I booked an appointment with DMV later in the day (1pm). On the day of appointment, we had been to Social security office and got a SSN denial letter and go to DMV office.

List of proofs to produce at DMV:
1. Copy of SSN Denial letter (Not older than 30days)
2. Indian Passport (with Visa stamped) and I-94 copy (3 point proof)
3. Credit Card (1 point proof)
4. Electricity bill (1 point proof)
5. Health Insurance card (1 point proof)

Total added upto 6 points and they accepted and my wife was through the written test.

Hope this will help.... Good Luck!!

I'm here on H4 visa too, but i live in another state, in Georgia. I heard that this procedure is different in every state. What's about Georgia?

The procedure in Georgia is almost the same. First of all, if you're not experienced driver, you must go through practice test after completing some special courses, and then you will be sure that you can complete real driving test.

Last edited by a moderator: