• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Getting a Canadian Police Clearance from Outside Canada

guestgulkan

I recently obtained a Canadian Police Clearance (Police Certificate / Certified Criminal Record Check) from outside Canada. I'm writing this thread so it appears in forum searches to help future applicants.

• The RCMP require fingerprints for their police clearance
  • The RCMP can be quite slow. Apply a couple of months before your interview, however it took me around a month to get mine.
  • The Police Check doesn't have an expiry date.
  • The fingerprints must be digitised by an officially accredited company
  • I used a company called fingerscan.ca . They were used successfully by another applicant as mentioned in this post.
  • They are not listed in the official list of RCMP accredited vendors however they "piggyback" the ClearNeed accreditation. I emailed ClearNeed to ensure fingerscan.ca weren't a scam company and were told they are legitimate.
  • The total cost is CAD$150
  • fingerscan send you a bunch of pdfs to follow. Follow them.
  • This is the tricky bit - you need to print out the fingerprint form and take it to your local police station and get yourself fingerprinted. Bring the sample along to show the police. From watching cop shows I assumed the cop would grab my hands and push the fingerprints on the paper. Instead he sat on a chair and got me to do it myself by dipping my fingers in the ink. I didn't feel confident I was doing it correctly and kept pausing and questioning if I should start over but the cop said it was fine. note: My wife told me the police took her hands and did it the old-fashioned way, surprise surprise.
  • The name and address of the agency taking fingerprints need to be mentioned on the fingerprint form in the far bottom left box.
  • It's cheaper and easier to email them a photo of yourself than trying to print a photo. That's what I did.
  • Once you have all the documents done, post your application to Canada. Double check everything.
  • A few weeks later you'll get the document back.

* RCMP = Royal Canadian Mounted Police ie Canadian National Police

Last edited:
Hello friends,

I also got my services from the company fingerscan.ca (Worldwide Forensic Services Inc.). The are amazing people and the customer service is superb.

PJ