Get a new J1 Visa

TarHeelFrenchy

Hello,

I am a French student in an engineering school in France.

Last year, from July 2013 to June 2014, I did an internship at the University of North Carolina under a J1 visa, so for a total of 12 months.

I'm spending this last year of studies at the University of Montreal, and I'll be done in April 2015. After this, I need to do a Final Year Project in a company during a 6 months internship.

I got an offer from a company in the USA for a 6 months internship, starting between May and July 2015. I will need a new J1 visa for those 6 months.

My question is, will I be able to apply and get this new J1 VISA? Does my previous visa influences it?
I've heard multiple things, like :
- I can't accumulate more than 18 months under a J1 visa
- I need to wait one year between the end of my first visa and the beginning of my new visa.

Even if this applies, I guess I should be fine since I only did 12 months and I want to do 6 other months, and that if I start in July I would have done one year abroad. I've been and will be visiting the USA during this year in Canada though, with a ESTA. Could this be a problem?

Thanks a lot,
Alex

In my experience, we did our study and research in the USA under J-1 visa for 5 years.
After finishing the first J-1, we had to wait in for two years to get another J-1.
That was in P. R. of China. I don't know if there is any difference between China and France. Hopefully the information will be helpful.