GC to Citizenship - Charged with Solicitation of Prostitution

tempgud

Unfortunately one of my very close friend got charged with Solicitation of prostitution . He was caught in a police sting operation. He doesn't have any prior history of criminal charges or convictions. He is fighting his case , but if he is convicted then

1) Can he file for citizenship in 1- 2 yrs time frame ? He is in 6th year of his GC
2) Can he extends his GC instead of applying for citizenship ? are there chances of extension getting denied ?
3) Can he travel outside of U.S before filing for G.C ? What document/precaution should he take before travelling ? Is he inadmissible ?
4) Has anyone one traveled outside of U.S with conviction and a GC ? please share your experience at the time of immigration

Thank you all for your attention , help and response. I have searched the forum and got some answers , but they seem to be little dated - atleast 4-5 years ago , so posting it again to get response/help from some more recent cases like my friend.

Hope your friend won his case!!
But if not.......

If convicted and he files for citizenship he will automatically be denied and im pretty sure put in removal proceedings

If he travels while case is still in the courts. He will be detained whilst trying to re enter the usa

If he travels after convicted

Being allowed to re enter is totally up to the immigration officer at that time 50/50 chance
Not worth the hassel to travel at that point.

Hope this helps

[QUOTE="but if he is convicted then

1) Can he file for citizenship in 1- 2 yrs time frame ? He is in 6th year of his GC
2) Can he extends his GC instead of applying for citizenship ? are there chances of extension getting denied ?
3) Can he travel outside of U.S before filing for G.C ? What document/precaution should he take before travelling ? Is he inadmissible ?
4) Has anyone one traveled outside of U.S with conviction and a GC ? please share your experience at the time of immigration

Thank you all for your attention , help and response. I have searched the forum and got some answers , but they seem to be little dated - atleast 4-5 years ago , so posting it again to get response/help from some more recent cases like my friend.[/QUOTE]

Don’t plead GUILTY. Instead, hire an immigration attorney NOW to fight the charge and get it reduced to something very minor that won’t affect immigration!!!!!

But if he can’t hire an attorney and plead guilty, then:

1) He needs to wait 5 years after conviction and completion of sentence to apply. Don’t waste $$$ applying now. He will not be deported for conviction though.

2) See above. He should reniew GC if it expires before the 5 years mentioned.

3) He can travel outside US, but he might be stopped and asked about the conviction upon returning to the US. However, he should not be denied entry.

4) See #3

Last edited:
Ive known ppl with several drug convictions
And got green card renewed ,this was some years ago tho and immigration laws change quite often

This one guy i knew lived here for 20 years got deported because the last arrest the judge warned him if she ever saw him again in her court she’d have him sent home. He got into a fight a year later. And is back in our home coutry 6 years now

He”s been arrested and convicted of multiple drug possesion charges and always took pleas and probation

Point with a conviction is to stay under the radar

Atleast 5 years from that said conviction before you file for citizenship. Because thats when uncle sam isnt forgiving at all. And you need 5 years of trouble free time leading up to the application

Everyone”s situation is different. Diffirent field office
Different immigration officer
Everyones isnt the same

I got arrested for multiple felony charges about 10 years ago. “Really really serious “
Ultimately i got case the dismissed and got arrested twice after that too. I was scared to renew my green card
But i did and had no troublewith renewal,
didnt travel for about 5 years after that because i was cared to be denied entry and for me it was worth the risk as almost all my family lives here now

Remember only ppl that cant be denied entry into the United States are Citizens

There is no such thing as
You have a green card and they have to let you back into the coutry..... they can deny you entry as they see fit!!

But like i said its 50/50 they might i might not let you back in!!
You can travel if you thinks its worth the risk tho!! Personally if it were me i wouldnt!
Staying under the radar for a few Years is your friends best bet

Good luck!

Last edited:
No!

Yes he has to extend! There are chances of getting denied however ONE conviction that is a CIMT will qualify as a petty offense, and no immigration consequences will attach, if it is a misdemeanor or a gross misdemeanor and the sentence imposed is six months or less.

/QUOTE] He can travel however it is better he avoids traveling if he can. If not he should carry his discharge papers if he has them. He is not inadmissible if it his only conviction.

Last edited:
No!

Yes he has to extend! There are chances of getting denied however ONE conviction that is a CIMT will qualify as a petty offense, and no immigration consequences will attach, if it is a misdemeanor or a gross misdemeanor and the sentence imposed is six months or less.

hi,

U mentioned the below,

My friend has one CIMT and he is in LPR and did caught in a undercover 2yrs back in his 6yr of his LPR. can he extend his LPR after probation but it will be his 3rd yr after convicted. provide you experience and advice...

hi,

My friend has one CIMT and he is in LPR and did caught in a undercover 2yrs back in his 6yr of his LPR. can he extend his LPR after probation but it will be his 3rd yr after convicted. provide you experience and advice...

Your question is not clear. Is the prostitution solicitation a SECOND CMT or that’s the only? If it’s the second then he’s in trouble. If it’s the only crime then he can extend.

Tell him to stop soliciting prostitutes though, too man risks and negative consequences.