GC Holder Marriage with F1

padaiyappa

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am a green card holder and would like to know the issues associated with marrying someone who is working on an F1 as an extension of their schooling. She will already be in the US and the marriage has to take place in India. She will be maintaining her F1 visa status all the time till her H1 visa comes through.

My question is whether merely getting married to a green card holder when she is holding a F1 visa will be a problem. She does not have to get her visa stamped since it is already stamped in her passport and she will be just visiting India with the extension on her I-20

Can she come to the US on her own F1 visa when she is working (optional practical training) in case her H1 does not get approved by the time of marriage.

No one will be sponsoring her green card till she gets her H1 approved.

Please provide me with information with regard to this.
Please provide me with any links that might be useful. I really appreciate any help that I can get in this matter.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi..
I had a similar situation to urs and because I wasnt subscribed to this very useful forum, didnt quite make the best decision.
Anyways, the ideal thing for u to do would be to get a registered marriage done here and then get the religious marriage done in India. Then u guys can come back on ur individual visas and tell ur wife to carry a copy of the offer letter from the company if she's working. She needs to maintain her own self status till the time u become a US citizen and file AOS for her...
All da best

Marriage to F1

Hello,

So long she has a multiple entry valid visa you are fine. F1 or H1 both allow her to enter USA legally. If she gets H1, you have two choices - either file for her GC thru new employer or sponsor her thru your Green Card. If you are about to complete 5 years on GC then apply your citizenship first.

I hope it helps.