1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GC Holder: How to move sick mom to US?

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by slamdunker, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. slamdunker

    slamdunker New Member


    I have recently gotten my Green Card here in the USA. I have a sick mother residing outside of US (never visited here) who is living by herself and is suffering from heart condition. My mom is very old and cannot continue to live by herself. I want to direct this question to all the gurus and experts around here that how can we live together? Is there a way or provision in the law that I can bring my Mom here and get her to stay with us permanently?

    I appreciate all your expert opinions/experiences in this.
  2. sfmars

    sfmars Registered Users (C)

    Practically only when you become citizen, you can sponsor her as IR immediate relative but not before. She can get a green card then.
    But she can be refused on the medical ground.

    Marriage to citizen can be also an option for her.

    DV Green card lottery.

    I doubt that there are any other options.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  3. cherr1980

    cherr1980 Registered Users (C)

    Your options are really limited, easier would be that you move back to where she is.

    Only US citizens can petition for parents.

    How you gain your GC? if it's through employment, you will have to wait 5 years to be able to be a citizen so then you can apply for your mother. If it was through marriage, then is shorter: 3 years. But still there is a long wait and you are in need in something fast due to her conditions.

    How old is your mother? If she is a senior...then the possibilities that she can herself gain a permanent status looks like difficult. Can't tell you for sure. Employment? There is the lottery visa...but as you know...is a lottery.

    Good luck.
  4. trialanderror83

    trialanderror83 Registered Users (C)

    I doubt she will get denied due to her heart condition, they don't check that. If she is as old as he says, I also doubt the option of marriage for a GC, good idea though!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  5. LucyMO

    LucyMO Registered Users (C)

    they do in some countries. I know of one person for whom a panel physician refused to sign the medical exam until he got an operation that fixed his heart.

    A person can be denied an immigrant visa if she/he cannot prove that she/he will not become public charge due to inability to work.

    Get your mom an assistant. Buying her health insurance here in the States will cost you a lot more than hiring an assistant for her at home.
  6. senowen

    senowen Registered Users (C)

    Sorry to say, but there are not many options, as others have stated. It is possible to get a B-2 nonimmigrant visa for obtaining medical treatment. I think a medical treatment B-2 visa holder can stay much longer than a normal B-2 visa holder. But it is not an immigrant visa, and your mother would have to eventually leave. Plus you would have to show that she cannot get the necessary treatment in her country, have proof that a doctor or medical facility in the US is going to treat her, and show that your mother (or you) have enough funds to pay for the entire visit plus medical treatments.
  7. GotPR?

    GotPR? Registered Users (C)

    If I were you, I'll find an US company that can transfer you to the office in your home country . THat way, you can maintain LPR status even though you reside outside the US.
  8. slamdunker

    slamdunker New Member

    However sad it is to know that I don't have a feasible option other that to move out of US, closer to her, but thanks anyway for chiming in with your opinions.

    Pardon me for the digression here a bit but is that true that you can work in another country for your US company and it will still count as valid time out? (Yes, my GC is obtained employment based).

Share This Page