GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

My mother had GC which was surrendered in oct 2011. she now has 10 yrs visitor visa. she is in US now and i want to apply GC again for her. any idea how long it will take for her if i apply from US ? is it better to apply from US or from india ? Also any comments or care i should take for filing since will be reapplying for her..or should i hire lawyer for her application ?

another thing i wanted to know is if her application of GC is in process..can she travel to india or have to be here in US till she get decision on her application ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Guys!

I am in the process of petitioning both of my parents who are currently here in the United States (both of them came with a visitor visa but they overstayed, to my knowledge I still can petition them as a US Citizen).

I sent both of their packages on Nov 6, 2012 to the Chicago Lockbox and they received it on Nov 9, 2012. I received a total of 6 e-mail notifications on Nov 14 saying that the case was accepted and was routed to the USCIS National Benefits Center for processing and that I will be receiving the official receipt notice in the next few days.

I know that perhaps is kind of early but until now I haven't received anything, should I just wait?

Also, I tried my best to do their application myself so we can save up some money and I was just wondering if by those e-mails notifications means that their application were correctly submitted?

Many Thanks!

Hello There
I am in the process of filing I-130 & I 485 for my mother. I live in North Carolina.
Anybody knows what is the service center for us? And what is the time line? USCIS site
says I need to send the application to Chicago Lockbox.

Kindly let know what time it takes now a days for I 130 & 485.

sent I-130 and I-485 for my Dad last week

Just wondering about current time line.

I did some research about the expiration of my Dad's visiting visa, i-94 will expire next week, so he is in limbo condition, right?

I sent to Chicago lockbox as showed on uscis website. also don't know about the current timeline.
Hello There
I am in the process of filing I-130 & I 485 for my mother. I live in North Carolina.
Anybody knows what is the service center for us? And what is the time line? USCIS site
says I need to send the application to Chicago Lockbox.

Kindly let know what time it takes now a days for I 130 & 485.

I think you email notifications means that their application were submitted, also check if your checked got cashed.

Please keep us updated!

Hello Guys!

I am in the process of petitioning both of my parents who are currently here in the United States (both of them came with a visitor visa but they overstayed, to my knowledge I still can petition them as a US Citizen).

I sent both of their packages on Nov 6, 2012 to the Chicago Lockbox and they received it on Nov 9, 2012. I received a total of 6 e-mail notifications on Nov 14 saying that the case was accepted and was routed to the USCIS National Benefits Center for processing and that I will be receiving the official receipt notice in the next few days.

I know that perhaps is kind of early but until now I haven't received anything, should I just wait?

Also, I tried my best to do their application myself so we can save up some money and I was just wondering if by those e-mails notifications means that their application were correctly submitted?

Many Thanks!

Bless you got the answers! she might be travel with AP, I wonder why she surrendered GC 11 years ago, and wants to get it again, is it understandable to USCIS?
My mother had GC which was surrendered in oct 2011. she now has 10 yrs visitor visa. she is in US now and i want to apply GC again for her. any idea how long it will take for her if i apply from US ? is it better to apply from US or from india ? Also any comments or care i should take for filing since will be reapplying for her..or should i hire lawyer for her application ?

another thing i wanted to know is if her application of GC is in process..can she travel to india or have to be here in US till she get decision on her application ?

Dad of an American citizen

Hi,
I have tried to look for the information I'm looking for, but haven't manage, so he's I am...
I'm the dad of an american citizen who is now 11 weeks. I understand that he can't file an application for me. His mother, an American citizen as well, and I are still not married.
What would I need to do, being on foreign soil right now but coming back in a few months , to get a GC ?
Is there a way to do that without being married ? And if we get married right now in France , will it be possible then ?
I'm a bit lost with all that... For once something is easier in France ;)
Thank you very much for your answers .

she surrendered it last year 2011. my dad was not well and needed hospitalization/care and both were under 65 at that time so could not get insurance so he got treated there but he passed away recently and mom is here so wanted to file for her again..not sure how it would go with uscis..was thinking of hiring lawyer just in case...not one has responded yet other than you..let see..if someone can share the experience would be great..

Bless you got the answers! she might be travel with AP, I wonder why she surrendered GC 11 years ago, and wants to get it again, is it understandable to USCIS?

she surrendered it last year 2011. my dad was not well and needed hospitalization/care and both were under 65 at that time so could not get insurance so he got treated there but he passed away recently and mom is here so wanted to file for her again..not sure how it would go with uscis..was thinking of hiring lawyer just in case...not one has responded yet other than you..let see..if someone can share the experience would be great..

130 approved ..... now what.

I am sure the following questions were asked before but this thread is too long.
Can anyone summarize ....
What are the steps and approx. how long it would take for interview?

Appreciate you help.

Thanks,
Riad
130 applied [for mom]: 26 July
130 approved: 12 december

GC for mother ( I 130 & I 148 ) processing times almost at a year...

Hello there !

First, let me introduce myself: I am Jo, living in the US and have been a US Citizen since 2009. I am originally from Germany and my husbands active status in the US Army brought me to the US. We have decided to make GA our permanent home... and so far we love it.

Now my question ( and yes, I am desperate at this point ):
I have applied for a GC for my mother, who entered the country on a I 94 in March 2012. She planned on applying from Germany, but my husbands retirement was postponed, which changed everything and my mother agreed on filing from here to help us out.
Therefore we have filed on April 19, 2012. We had our biometrics appointment on May 17, 2012 and May 28, we were notified that our case has been transfered to the California Service Center... and that's it !!
I have called the National Center to check, but they can not give us any info.. I have put in a request by beginning of Nov to check, since by then we were over the processing time.
We got a general letter in the mail, stating that some cases, incl. ours, require longer processing times and that we need to wait again for another 6 month !

My issue started about 10 days ago, when we were informed that my grandmother, who is 95 and lives in Germany, is medically declining. I have scheduled an appointment per Infopass in Atlanta ( 5 h drive from us ) to speak to someone in person. Well, they informed me that there is nothing they can do. If mom wants to leave the country, while her application is being processed, she needs to file for the I 131, processing time 3-4 month.

We understand that even being able to apply for a GC is a huge benefit, so we try to be patient. Sadly, we have found out that grandma has now been admitted to the hospital... My mother is broken.. and I am torn..
I really want mom to be able to travel to Germany, but understand that this is not possible as of now. Is there nothing else we can do??

Is this processing time normal?? I dont know what else to do and / or who to go to.. I really hope that anyone can give me some suggestions..

Thanks in advance,

Jo

Your Mom did Biometrics on 05/17/12, and you still haven't heard anything, so the waiting is longer than 8 months now from Finger Print.

Can you walk in for a info pass , or get an immediate advanced parole.

Hello there !

First, let me introduce myself: I am Jo, living in the US and have been a US Citizen since 2009. I am originally from Germany and my husbands active status in the US Army brought me to the US. We have decided to make GA our permanent home... and so far we love it.

Now my question ( and yes, I am desperate at this point ):
I have applied for a GC for my mother, who entered the country on a I 94 in March 2012. She planned on applying from Germany, but my husbands retirement was postponed, which changed everything and my mother agreed on filing from here to help us out.
Therefore we have filed on April 19, 2012. We had our biometrics appointment on May 17, 2012 and May 28, we were notified that our case has been transfered to the California Service Center... and that's it !!
I have called the National Center to check, but they can not give us any info.. I have put in a request by beginning of Nov to check, since by then we were over the processing time.
We got a general letter in the mail, stating that some cases, incl. ours, require longer processing times and that we need to wait again for another 6 month !

My issue started about 10 days ago, when we were informed that my grandmother, who is 95 and lives in Germany, is medically declining. I have scheduled an appointment per Infopass in Atlanta ( 5 h drive from us ) to speak to someone in person. Well, they informed me that there is nothing they can do. If mom wants to leave the country, while her application is being processed, she needs to file for the I 131, processing time 3-4 month.

We understand that even being able to apply for a GC is a huge benefit, so we try to be patient. Sadly, we have found out that grandma has now been admitted to the hospital... My mother is broken.. and I am torn..
I really want mom to be able to travel to Germany, but understand that this is not possible as of now. Is there nothing else we can do??

Is this processing time normal?? I dont know what else to do and / or who to go to.. I really hope that anyone can give me some suggestions..

Thanks in advance,

Jo

where is the applicants now? if in US, you need to file i-485. if not, you need to start the process for CP.
I am sure the following questions were asked before but this thread is too long.
Can anyone summarize ....
What are the steps and approx. how long it would take for interview?

Appreciate you help.

Thanks,
Riad
130 applied [for mom]: 26 July
130 approved: 12 december

do we have to make separate envelope for 130 and 485 and mail in one package or make each package and send it to lockbox ?

her visa is till March 13..do you thing i should be able to get receipt if i file around 1st week of february ?

she can stay here once i get receipt correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did it in one package per person. To the best of my knowledge, as soon as you filed the application, she can stay.
do we have to make separate envelope for 130 and 485 and mail in one package or make each package and send it to lockbox ?

her visa is till March 13..do you thing i should be able to get receipt if i file around 1st week of february ?

she can stay here once i get receipt correct ?

Expediting Greencard for dependent brother

Hello Everyone,

Can you please provide some thoughts on my situation. I want to reach out to Rajiv Khanna and team but want to see what are the possibilities before that to get green card for my brother. Following are the facts:

1. I am a US citizen.
2. Have applied for a green card for my mother, younger brother (unmarried, more than 18 years, physically handicapped) in 2012. Father is no more.
3. My mother will likely obtain her green card 2013/2014. My brother would not be eligible for a Green Card untill may be 11 years from now.

Given that my brother has severe physical handicap, is there anyway to expedite processing of his green card by proving to the USCIS that my brother due to his handicap has a dependency on my mother (who would be living in the USA) and me and needs to be given Green Card sooner than the 11 years period ?

Thanks for your advice.