GC and Marriage Annulment

inxs007

Registered Users (C)
I got married 9 months back in india and me & my wife got a GC thru me at the time of marraige at an indian consulate. (This is a "follow" to join spouse petetion made by me at the same time as my consular processing for Green Card). Howvever she did not like to stay in US and left back to india within 1 month of arrival. Now she is not interested in living with me and is living with her parents in india. It is appearing like she was forced into this marriage, though she will not admit. Despite my best efforts she is not responding and has made it clear to me that she is not intrested in continuing a relationship. She is about 20+ and beahves like a kid. Her parents are stuck in a limbo and are not acting or responding to anything I say, just evading me for past 8 months. Also our marraige is not consumated. I am realizing that this marraige was a mistake and I would like to quitely end this marraige. Can the marriage be annulled and what is the process ? Does the annulment affect my GC status. She already has a GC thru my employment.
Thanks in advance.

Retain a lawyer

You can file for annulment of marriage from US under various grounds like "irreconcilable differences", "spousal abandonment" etc. Keep all proof of all communication on your behalf, e.g. emails, phone bills, letters etc. Proof of general expenses like rent and video, photographs, etc can also help in showing your efforts in keeping your spouse happy. This will take time but it is doable.

You GC status will not be affected but your spouse (soon to be ex-spouse) would lose status if she is out of US for months.

Sorry To Hear That

A break up in marriage under your cicumstances is terrible. I am sure you are undergoing immense trauma because of this. But I just want to caution you... you got married in India, you ARE an Indian national. You may annal a marriage here, BUT your spouse can cause you lot of grief if she chooses to.

The laws in India in this regards are strict. You can NOT divorce as easily as here. The penalties CAN be hefty. And also now a days there are laws about spouse abuse based on dowry etc... whether true or not, if they choose to, they can make you suffer.

Good Luck. Try to work it out with ELDERS in India. That will give you more ground legally and morally. If it IS, impossible for you guys to make it together then.. after the intervention of community elders in India try to annul your marriage. Also consult a lawyer in India for further guidance.

Good Luck. Hope you will work it out. 9 Months is hardly a marriage.

marriage break up

Sorry to hear about your marriage You can easily get a divorce here in USA on the basis on walk-over or abandonment by your spouse and the same divorce decree is valid in India because you are a US resident and do not live in India so you need not get a divorce in India. consult a lawyer and he should be able to help you completely.
The divorcee papers in US are valid in India in your case because of your residential status.

all that is going to happen is you shall get a in-absentia divorce by giving a 60 days notice to your spouse if she responds then you can contest and fight the case otherwise the court grants you the single status again
I have gone through that and obtained a divorce in the state of georgia back in 1998 both of us had the green card and she abandonded me. Make sure you do not have any joint propery or bank accounts or car, if yes than make sure all is in your name. rest is easy if you have any questions e-mail me I shall help you in that

find some one here and make the best life has to offer you
gud luck